Stoops playing dumb? It is not an act. When him, his brother, and Magino left K-State for OU, it explained as "fat, drunk, and stupid" left.
1. Alabama’s Kirby Smart is the highest paid assistant coach in the SEC – $1,150,000 a year before bonus. The staff at LSU is the highest paid in the country.
2. Auburn’s assistant coaches are the third-highest paid in the conference – and expected to get a bump in pay.
3. Almost thrown away after Auburn’s loss to LSU, a 500-1 betting ticket on the Tigers to win the national title now sits in a safety deposit box.
5. Vanderbilt assistant Herb Hand staying at the school according to James Franklin. Was reportedly a finalist for the head coaching job at Elon.
6. Florida sophomore fullback Rhaheim Ledbetter will transfer to another school. Total of five players leaving – including 2012 tight end recruit Kent Taylor.
7. When it comes to the SEC, is Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops good at playing dumb?
8. Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell has surgery to repair a torn labrum - won’t play in the Liberty Bowl.
10. This ranking of the Nick Saban coaching tree puts Florida coach Will Muschamp and former Tennessee coach Derek Dooley at the bottom.
11. Christine Brennan: “In the deepest, darkest, most cynical corners of college football, Mack Brown already has stepped down at Texas and Nick Saban is on his way.” Our Saban update from this morning.
12. Mack Brown: “My situation has not changed.”
13. When the college football playoff starts next season, strength of schedule will be a factor. Tom Osborne: “A lot of teams are going to be at the mercy of the strength of your conference.”
14. Playoff won’t be a magic bullet - controversy will only grow.
15. Could the SEC and other major conferences break away to form their own subdivision? It’s “not off the table,” according to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.
16. NCAA has changed its “over-signing” bylaw – SEC and NCAA now have identical rules.
17. New governance model for the NCAA by next summer?
18. Ten teams finished with at least six wins this year but won’t make a bowl game. Bowl roster expanding next year from 35 games to 39.
19. How about a one-on-one interview of NCAA president Mark Emmert by NCAA critic Jay Bilas?
20. Arkansas plays Savannah State tonight. 6-2 Razorbacks have five games remaining before conference play begins.
21. Kentucky’s Willie Cauley-Stein doesn’t have sickle cell anemia but he does have the sickle cell trait. “So some days…I’ll have like real bad chest pain and I can’t like breathe…”
22. Average attendance at Rupp Arena through first seven games during the John Calipari era has dropped ever year.
23. LSU begins a five-game non-conference stretch that starts Saturday against Louisiana-Monroe.
24. Mississippi State will host Southeastern Louisiana Friday night – in Tupelo.
25. Compromise? Nick Saban coaches Alabama AND Texas.
26. Why was Peyton Manning icing his ankle, wearing a helmet and watching his iPad all at once?