1. What’s the second-best team in the SEC behind Alabama? MrSEC’s Josh Ward casts a vote for LSU.
2. Why the future looks bright at South Carolina. Only five seniors on this year’s roster.
3. Formula for beating Alabama? Gary Danielson: ”If you look at the formula for teams that have beaten them in the past, you have to start at excellence at quarterback.
4. Tuscaloosa bracing for the biggest football crowd in city’s history when LSU comes to town Saturday.
5. LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger: “I wouldn’t say that teams fear them, but we’re definitely not a team that’s going to fear those guys.”
6. LSU linebacker Lamin Barrow: “It’s a street fight. Blow for blow. The best man is going to win the game.”
7. Former Auburn coach Pat Dye called Auburn’s 2012 quartertbacks “cowards.” Kevin Scarbinsky says he owes these young men a public apology. Read the entire Dye quote.
8. With the SEC-leading running attack, Auburn attempted just nine passes against Arkansas. Expect the Tigers to throw it more often against Tennessee.
9. Gus Malzahn on Tennessee’s offensive line: “They’re a veteran group. They’re big, they’re physical, and I think they’re very talented.”
10. Tennessee coach Butch Jones on the Vols offensive line: “Club 90″ – since the team didn’t rush for 100 yards against Missouri.
11. Mississippi State in the midst of a brutal three-game stretch; South Carolina last week, Texas A&M this week followed by Alabama.
12. MSU quarterback Tyler Russell on teammate Dak Prescott losing his mother to cancer: “I can’t imagine it. But he’s strong. He’s going to be fine.”
13. Bottom line on Johnny Manziel? He’s a better player than a year ago and likely to enter the NFL draft.
14. Ole Miss victory over Arkansas makes the Rebels bowl eligible. ”That’ll be huge coming from where we’ve been.”
15. Missouri offensive linemen get fired up listening to Christmas music. Yes, Christmas music.
16. Matt Hayes on Will Muschamp - “The key question lingering in Gainesville: how much goodwill does an 11-win season in 2012 bring?”
17. Florida offensive coordinator Brent Pease regrets calling a key play in the Georgia game out of the wildcat formation: “As I look back on it, I second guess myself on that play.”
18. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin on Florida’s offense: “They have a big, strong athletic guy that can run at the quarterback position.”
19. Alabama looks healthy heading in to the LSU game.
20. LSU fullback J.C. Copeland expected back for the Tigers after being out two weeks with a concussion.
21. Texas A&M running back Tra Carson has a sprained neck. Kevin Sumlin: “We’ll see where the doctors say he is at the end of the week.”
22. Vanderbilt opens new $31 million multi-purpose indoor facility.
23. Documentary on 1970 Alabama-USC game – “Against The Tide” – will air on Showtime on November 15.
24. Florida State the most likely team to stay undefeated?
25. Matt Hayes: “It’s all about offense. Those who can, win. Those who can’t, lose.”
26. MrSEC: ”There’s just no way around it at this point, folks. SEC defenses — as well as the reputation of SEC defenses — ain’t what they used to be.”
27. Bruce Feldman ranks the 10 best defensive players in college football. Just two of them – Missouri’s Michael Sam and Alabama’s C.J. Mosley – make the list from the SEC.
28. Arkansas 81 – Northeastern Oklahoma State 54. Coty Clarke leads the Razorbacks with 16 points in final exhibition game.
29. Vanderbilt hits the court for the first time tonight.
30. Hard to build a conference when the best players are always freshmen.