Dennis Dodd may be right, but there has never been one player alone that has had a long term effect on a college football program like he describes in his article. Coaches have been the program builders for the last century. The Manziel effect at A&M will be long term in the hearts and minds of Aggie fans, but will more likely be a shorter term bubble when it comes to recruiting either football players or students to campus. How many today enroll at Nebraska because of Johnny Rodgers, or Alabama because of Joe Namath, or Southern California because of O.J. Simpson, or Pennsylvania State because of John Cappeletti, or THE Ohio State because of Archie Griffin, or Florida because of Tim Tebow, etc.? Probably about as many who enroll at Texas A&M in a few years because of Johnny Manziel.
1. Alabama AD Bill Battle wrote that the Nick Saban-Texas speculation has shown the Alabama job is the “gold standard of college football.”
2. Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron is letting the sack given up to LSU slide.
3. Freshman defensive end Elijah Daniel has helped Auburn as an interior pass rusher.
4. Auburn’s defense has plenty of respect for Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray, who’s played well against the Tigers in his career.
5. Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall has come a long way since he was dismissed from the Georgia football team.
6. Georgia CB Damian Swann is happy to see former teammate Nick Marshall have success. “I’m proud of all his accomplishments,” Swann said.
7. Ole Miss wide receiver Donte Moncrief’s “time has come” after a slow start to the season.
8. Ole Miss QB Bo Wallace: “We’re trying to go to a bowl game with nine wins.”
9. Tony Barnhart writes that Will Muschamp has “earned the right to fix” Florida’s problems.
10. It’s time to celebrate Johnny Manziel as his college career likely comes to a close, writes Dennis Dodd.
11. LASIK eye surgery during the offseason has helped South Carolina receiver Damiere Byrd on the field.
12. Missouri QB James Franklin is “still the more advanced passer and the more accurate passer” compared to Maty Mauk.
13. Vanderbilt receiver Jordan Matthews on RB Jerron Seymour: “He’s (Maurice) Jones-Drew, man.”
14. Alabama RB Alvin Kamara returned to practice after being away for “behavioral reasons” while CB Bradley Sylve returned from injury.
15. Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott is “questionable” to play against Alabama, according to MSU coach Dan Mullen.
16. Georgia hopes to have WR Chris Conley and TE Arthur Lynch this weekend. TE Jay Rome will likely be out.
17. Texas A&M improved its record to 2-0 with a 91-67 win over Mississippi Valley State.
18. Kentucky will be tested tonight when the Wildcats face Michigan State in Chicago.
19. Freshman Julius Randle is excited for the high-profile matchup. “Bring it on,” he said.
20. Florida coach Billy Donovan hopes to see his team is improving when the Gators play Wisconsin.
21. South Carolina’s new look team will be tested tonight when it plays at Baylor.
22. Tennessee will be tested in its opener tonight against Xavier in Cincinnati.
23. Nathan Rush provides 10 reasons Nick Saban will leave Alabama for Texas.
24. AJ McCarron has risen to No. 2 in the SI.com Heisman Watch.
25. Ohio State WR Evan Spencer believes the Buckeyes would “wipe the field” with Alabama and Florida State. He admitted he’s “a little biased.”
26. The college football selection committee has promised transparency when it comes to selecting the four teams.
27. Taylor Martinez’s foot injury could keep him from returning for Nebraska this season. The quarterback is a senior.
28. Alabama has replaced Oregon as The University of Nike.
29. The Top 10 college football coaching jobs in the country: #2 Florida, #4 Alabama, #6 LSU and #10 Georgia.