1. Dylan Thompson will get the start at quarterback for South Carolina against Missouri. As for the injured Connor Shaw? “He may be able to dress and get backup.”
2. Max Smith will start the game at quarterback Thursday night at Mississippi State. Jalen Whitlow battling a sprained ankle but will be “ready to go.”
3. Mississippi State wide receiver Jameon Lewis has eclipsed his career numbers this season in catches, receiving yards and touchdown receptions.
4. Auburn center Reese Dismukes on coach Gus Malzahn: “I’m glad he’s our head coach, and he’s a heck of a coach.”
5. Big change for Tennessee in recent games – field position. Coach Butch Jones: “Field position in the game of football is everything..”
6. Nick Saban on Tennessee’s offensive line: “This is probably the best overall offensive line we’ve had to play this year.”
7. Alabama opponents have only made 11 red-zone trips this year - tied for lowest in the country.
8. Alabama officials not happy about the mass exodus of students from Bryant-Denny Stadium.
9. Is this year Nick Saban’s best coaching job of his Alabama career?
10. Who’s the SEC Coach of the year - Gus Malzahn or Gary Pinkel?
11. Like much of the country, South Carolina linebacker Skai Moore is starting to learn about the 7-0 Missouri Tigers: “This week was my first time actually watching any type of film on them.”
13. Big difference this year for Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace is health. Played the last nine games in 2012 with a separated throwing shoulder.
14. Les Miles sent a message to running back Jeremy Hill after a first-half fumble against Ole Miss.
15. Just two interceptions in five SEC games for LSU’s defense.
16. Vanderbilt senior linebacker Karl Butler on planning for Johnny Manziel and the Texas A&M offense: “You have to give credit to the offensive line for giving him so much time to do what he does.
17. Bye week for Florida. Coach Will Muschamp: ”We’ve got an off week to get it turned around.” Florida coaches planned to be out recruiting Sunday/Monday but Muschamp pulled them off the road to evaluate team.
18. Arkansas gets a bye week and a chance to regroup. Tight end Hunter Henry: “We’re down right now.”
19. Story much the same at Georgia where the Bulldogs have a bye week after losing two straight. Aaron Murray: I think we can be proud if we go out there and finish the season strong, go 9-3.”
20. Alabama reported $143.4 million in athletic revenue in 2012-13. That’s a 16% jump from the year before.
21. ESPN analyst Danny Kannell ranks Alabama third behind Oregon and Florida State. ”I’m still waiting for them to be tested again before I’m ready to buy in.”
22. Athlon gives grades to 31 first-year football coaches. A+ for Gus Malzahn.
23. Urban Meyer on the targeting rule: “The NCAA and everybody is going to want to relook at that rule.”
24. Georgia running back Todd Gurley returned to practice Tuesday. Hasn’t played since suffering a sprained ankle against LSU.
25. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin on Johnny Manziel and his injured right shoulder: “Our practice rotation will change a little bit depending on what Johnny can or can’t do.”
26. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin: “Well, Manziel is playing. I don’t think there’s any doubt or question about that.”
27. Alabama safety Vinnie Sunseri had surgery Tuesday on his left knee. Could he be ready by spring practice?
28. Injuries have hit Auburn’s secondary. Gus Malzahn: “Where we’re at depth-wise on defense, in some areas, is pretty scary.”
29. Auburn tackle Patrick Miller could miss his third straight game because of off-field issues.
30. Florida redshirt freshman Jeremi Powell reportedly tore his ACL against Missouri.
Missouri coach Frank Haith/NCAA
31. Missouri coach Frank Haith will not appeal his five-game suspension but he doesn’t agree with the NCAA decision: “This is not an admission of guilt because I do not agree with the findings of the NCAA.”
32. Mike DeCourcy: “If he were to appeal his penalty, there are three possible results, and only one of them would be positive for him.”
33. ESPN’s Eamon Brennan: “The confusing bit…is how Haith was able to avoid charges of misleading the NCAA…”
34. “At best…Haith looked away from shenanigans…At worst, Haith choreographed the payment…”
35. Mark Wiedmar: Bruce Pearl and Southern Cal should sue the NCAA.
36. MrSEC: Trying to compare NCAA cases is folly.