1. South Carolina receiver Shaq Roland will serve a three-game suspension. Already missed UCF game, will not play against Kentucky or Arkansas before returning for Tennessee game.
2. Georgia not interested in starting a Heisman campaign for quarterback Aaron Murray - he doesn’t need the help. “Who hasn’t heard of Aaron Murray?”
3. Georgia coach Mark Richt asked about a letdown this week. ”You don’t ever want to let down, but we’re playing Tennessee so I don’t foresee a letdown.”
4, Tennessee coach Butch Jones: ”Right now we have some major depth issues and I think it is starting to be revealed.”
5. Auburn’s defense focused this week on limiting and containing Ole Miss running back Jeff Scott. Coach Gus Malzahn wants crowd noise to make an impact.
6. After a breakout game against Kentucky, Florida running back Matt Jones looks to be the No. 1 tailback again but don’t forget about Mack Brown and Kelvin Taylor.
7. Florida defensive tackle Damien Jacobs on Dominique Easley’s season-ending knee injury. “It was a heartbreaker.”
8. Arkansas went with two freshmen guards in their SEC opener. They’re in line to start again against Florida this week.
9. Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze on his offensive line’s performance against Alabama: “We lost a lot of one-on-one battles up front.”
10. Defending Alabama’s schedule: “Is there any difference….in Alabama playing Georgia State and Tennessee playing South Alabama?”
11. Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen on LSU’s offense: “They have two NFL wide receivers, and they have a quarterback who is an NFL quarterback with a big arm to get them the ball.”
12, Mississippi State has the second-smallest stadium in the conference but the largest HD replay board. Ron Higgins: ”(I)t’s like having a 100-inch big screen in a double-wide trailer.”
13. Athlon Sports say LSU’s Zach Mettenberger and Missouri’s James Franklin are two of the nation’s most-improved quarterbacks.
14. LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron on Mettenberger: ”He can flat throw the ball deep as good as anyone I’ve been around, and he’s awfully accurate doing it.”
15. Should Missouri be concerned about kicker Andrew Baggett? Just two of five this year on kicks within 40 yards this season.
16. Vanderbilt’s defense will face a Missouri rushing attack that leads the conference.
17. With 42 tackles, Kentucky linebacker Avery Williamson leads the SEC.
18. Kentucky 338-pound defensive tackle Mister Cobble is afraid to fly. ”I just wait till we get to the top, open my window and just look out. The clouds calm me down.”
19. Texas A&M freshman wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones will get a medical redshirt this season.
20. Georgia running back Todd Gurley still “day-to-day” but Mark Richt says Keith Marshall is “very capable” of being the feature back.
21. Most of Auburn’s injured players look to return to practice this week, including cornerback Chris Davis.
22. With Alabama center Ryan Kelly out the next few weeks with a stretched MCL, Chad Lindsay is finally getting a chance to play.
23, Still unclear how many games Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson will miss once the season starts. Coach Andy Kennedy: “I think it’s ongoing based on how he progresses.”
24. “There is a pretty clear cut top three in the SEC, and Tennessee can count themselves in that group.”
25. Missouri freshman forward Jonathan Williams III on practice intensity: “You just have to see it. It’s amazing out here.”
27. Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings on freshmen center Damian Jones: ”He’s going to be a very, very good player here.”
28. South Carolina coach Frank Martin has seven freshmen and will add Villanova transfer guard Tyrone Johnson in December.
29. New York City law firm wants to alter the relationship between the NCAA and college athletes.
30. Princeton AD on stipends for large school college athletes: ”Clearly, the decision to speak to speak out (over the summer about the stipend issue and a potential break off) was choreographed.