Sounds like Delany gets it. Hope Slive and others join the chorus. College sports should be for students, not those who feel forced to bide time until they become pros.
1. How good has LSU’s offense been? For the first time since 1928, Tigers have scored 30 or more points in first four games.
2. Mark Richt compares Georgia and LSU: ”Both teams want to run the ball, both teams have tremendous tailbacks, both teams have tremendous fullbacks…”
3. Expect to see plenty of red Saturday at Georgia - on the field and in the stands.
4. With the loss of Dominique Easley, how does Florida’s defensive line stack up?
5. Kentucky running back Jojo Kemp is a Florida native and grew up rooting for the Gators.
6. Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews approaching the SEC career marks for receptions and receiving yards.
7. Based on statistics, Ole Miss running back Jeff Scott has a chance to be the best running back in school history.
8. Nick Saban on leadership: ”Sheep need to have a dog get ‘em home to the barn at night.”
9. Ingredients for an upset? How Ole Miss can beat Alabama Saturday.
10. Texas A&M senior linebacker Nate Askew is expected to make the first start of his career against Arkansas. Converted wide receiver made his last catch against the Razorbacks.
11. Arkansas defensive coordinator Chris Ash on facing Johnny Manziel: “I haven’t seen anything really like him to be honest with you.”
12. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema probably not a member of the Urban Meyer fan club.
13. South Carolina’s recent road record? Not that great.
14. Gamecocks most important game Saturday? The one in Athens between Georgia and LSU.
15. Missouri is seeing the maturation of quarterback James Franklin. Coach Gary Pinkel: “He found out the reality of the position and the criticism that goes with the position.”
16. Tennessee’s opponents are converting 45.6% on third downs.
17. Is Auburn wide receiver Sammie Coates emerging as one of the SEC’s better deep threats?
18. Bye week means time for self-assessment at Auburn. Coach Gus Malzahn: “We have four or five things offensively that we feel like we’re strong in.”
19. Mississippi State linebacker Deontae Skinner on the Bulldogs defense. “I feel like we’re a more aggressive defense.”
20. Auburn defensive tackle Jeff Whitaker and cornerback Jonathan Jones have yet to play this season because of injuries – decision may be coming soon.
21. Backup Ole Miss quarterback Barry Brunetti has a lingering shoulder injury. Freshman Devante Kincade taking snaps as No. 2 QB.
22. Lavon Hooks likely to play both ways for Ole Miss Saturday – as a defensive tackle and tight end.
23. Georgia not expecting wide receiver Jonathan Rumph to play Saturday – bothered by a pulled hamstring.
24. Bulldogs go full pads for third straight day on Wednesday.
25. Tennessee may use a fullback this weekend against South Alabama.
26. Will quarterback Maxwell Smith start for Kentucky against Florida? Coach Mark Stoops: “We haven’t decided yet. No. We really haven’t.”
27. Florida wide receivers DeMarcus Robinson and Latroy Pittman return to action Saturday – had been suspended for separate actions.
28. With quarterback Brandon Allen still bothered by shoulder issues, Arkansas moving forward with AJ Derby.
29. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany floats the idea of football and basketbal players signing professionally right out of high school. ”If they’re not comfortable and want to monetize, let the minor leagues flourish.”
30. The selection committee for college football playoffs could be decided by end of regular season. Expected to have 12 to 18 members.
31. 29 unbeaten teams currently in college football. How many are likely to stay that way?
32. The CFO for Tennessee’s athletic department resigns.
33. South Carolina promotes assistant Matt Figger to associate head coach.
34. Kentucky coach John Calipari has more Twitter followers than 190 of his colleagues combined.
35. All 31 of Missouri’s regular season games will be on TV this season.
36. High school coach suspends entire football team.
37. The Navy’s swim team underwater re-enactment of the flag raising at Iwo Jima.