After James' character assassination of Mike Leach a few years ago (with ESPN's help), all I can say is his firing at Fox couldn't happen to a better guy.
1. Vanderbilt quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels on having his name mentioned in connection with a rape investigation: “Having your character attacked is difficult.”
2. “The starting quarterback’s name remains on the prosecutors’ witness list. It’s a legitimate question to ask why that is.”
3. South Carolina receiver Bruce Ellington sees a big difference in quarterback Connor Shaw this year: “He’s just got that confidence.”
4. Florida offensive coordinator Brent Pease’s advice to quarterback Tyler Murphy: “Listen, don’t ever change now what you’ve done to this point.”
5. Les Miles and Mark Richt are 2-2 when facing one another. Here are nine other stats about this weekend’s LSU-Georgia game.
6. An endangered species will be on full display at the LSU-Georgia game – the fullback.
7. LSU fullback J.C. Copeland is a Georgia native who remembers what the Bulldogs didn’t do: “They didn’t recruit me.”
8. NCAA’s five loudest stadiums? LSU’s Tiger Stadium ranked first, Texas A&M’s Kyle Field comes in third.
9. Can Arkansas get its running game back on track against Texas A&M?
10. Crunching the numbers on Auburn’s defense: “Look at the overall SEC stats today, and (Ellis) Johnson’s defense doesn’t look much different than Brian VanGorder’s did last season.”
11. Should you buy into Missouri’s 3-0 start? Yes, says MrSEC’s Josh Ward.
12. What’s the average college football player worth? By one estimate, the number is $453,000 at Alabama.
13. Linebacker C.J. Mosley and two other Alabama players addressed the team after a sloppy win over Colorado State. ”I was pretty upset, especially with the defense.”
14. After a 3-0 start, big difference in expectations at Ole Miss vs. last year. Rebels likely favored in their final five games.
15. Coach Hugh Freeze on his newcomers: “They’re the hardest workers I’ve ever seen as freshmen.”
16. The numbers show Tennessee has strength in its special teams – specifically the kicking and coverage teams.
17. A tale of two offenses for Mississippi State: averaging 56.5 points in wins, 11.5 points in losses.
18. Alabama senior safety Nick Perry out for the Ole Miss game – injured shoulder will likely require surgery.
19. Phillip Fulmer returned to Tennessee’s practice for the first time since 2008. Coach Butch Jones: “He had a great message for the team.”
20. Tennessee freshman quarterback Riley Ferguson working with the second-team offense.
21. Update on Ole Miss linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche’s recovery from a torn meniscus. “He’s close.”
22. Kentucky welcomes back cornerback Cody Quinn to the starting lineup this week.
23. Kentucky will limit the number of throws in practice this week for quarterback Maxwell Smith.
24. Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen took some snaps but did not throw the football Tuesday. Won’t throw today either.
25. Mississippi State planning for Tyler Russell - not Dak Prescott – to get the start at quarterback against LSU October 5th. ”That’s still the plan.”
26. Florida’s Kyle Christy may be an all-SEC punter but his job is on the line.
27. Missouri guard Max Copeland still nursing a high-ankle sprain – status uncertain for Saturday.
28. Tigers got a late start in preparations this week for Arkansas State- plane was grounded in Indianapolis over the weekend with mechanical problems.
29. Redshirt freshman center Cody Waldrop expected back Saturday for South Carolina.
30. Georgia’s Kolton Houston strictly playing right tackle now.
31. Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson will open practice with the Rebels. Administration undecided on how many games he will miss.
32. ESPN’s Ivan Maisel on the NCAA’s decision to restore scholarships at Penn State: “Tacit acknowledgment that the NCAA sanctions constituted an overreaction…”
33. MrSEC back on July 22, 2012: ”A colossal blunder that college sports’ governing body will someday come to regret.”
34. Craig James wants back on the air as a Fox Sports analyst - threatening legal action after getting fired.
35. The central role that Cooper Manning’s injury played in the ESPN documentary The Book Of Manning.
36. How Missouri ends up on Comcast Sports South when almost no one in the state has the network.