1. Heisman candidate Todd Gurley. The Georgia running back has rushed for at least 100 yards in 11 of 16 games he’s played.
2. Arkansas safety Alan Turner lost his father the night before the Samford game.
3. Biggest problem for South Carolina’s defense against Georgia? Couldn’t get lined up right.
4. South Carolina running back Mike Davis is averaging 9.4 yards per carry - best in the conference among players with 20 or more carries.
5. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin on Jadeveon Clowney: “He is going to have an impact in the game, but what you can’t afford him to do is have a huge impact on the game.”
6. Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian on quarterback Justin Worley: ”I think he’s continually getting better. ”
7. Has Auburn found their big-play receiver in Sammie Coates?
8. Ole Miss is an underdog at Texas this weekend but Athlon calls for a Rebels victory.
9. Rebels biggest weakness could be at cornerback. Have started four different corners in two games.
10. Cornerback Cody Quinn is back for Kentucky. That’s good news for a defense going up against Lousville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.
11. How can Kentucky beat Louisville? “We’ve gotta play with more tempo.”
12. Mississippi State’s Christian Holmes aka “Turtle” is a popular guy. “I got a lot of tweets from a lot of ladies. My girlfriend didn’t like that too much.”
13. Georgia could end up redshirting more than half of the 31 newcomers from this year’s signing class.
14. Missouri redshirt freshman quarterback Maty Mauk is getting thrown into a fire on a weekly basis. “It’s good for him to get out there and get going.”
15. Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel on the new targeting rule: “If we don’t do something there’s going to be a tragedy on the field.”
16. SEC lost eight non-conference games all of last season. Lost four already this year.
17. “Barring a pair of miracle upsets, the league is going to add at least two more losses this weekend.”
18. A concession from Les Miles? “I wasn’t there at every place all the time. ”
19. Our morning wrap on the Yahoo investigation regarding five SEC players allegedly receiving extra benefits.
Alabama vs. Texas A&M
20. Nick Saban on Texas A&M: ”This is a fantastic offensive football team.”
21. Saban says LSU did the best job of defending Johnny Football in 2012. Crimson Tide will use linebacker C.J. Mosley as a “spy.”
22. Saturday’s game is a football laboratory - old school power football vs. new school uptempo offense.
23. SEC coaches on how to defend Johnny Manziel. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel: ”Everybody had plans for how they were going to stop him, but nobody can stop him,”
24. Texas A&M has hosted the No. 1 ranked team only once before – back in 2002 when the Aggies beat Oklahoma.
25. Twitter buzz for this game up dramatically from last year - especially in Texas.
26. “Texas A&M is the university of Texas” tweet creates a stir in Lone Star State. Mack Brown asked about it.
27. Depending on health, either Tyler Russell or Dak Prescott will start at quarterback for Mississippi State. Auburn is preparing for both of them.
28. Auburn’s Dee Ford and Justin Garrett continue to practice – uncertain if they’ll play.
29. Tennessee wide receiver Pig Howard held out of Wednesday’s practice with an unspecified injury.
30. Georgia may look to make a change at the strong safety position.
31. Don’t expect to read any more Ron Morris columns about Steve Spurrier. He’s been banned from writing about Gamecocks football.