1. “The future of Johnny Manziel’s football season for Texas A&M will soon come down to a one-sentence bylaw, divided into three sections.”
2. ESPN’s Colin Cowherd stirs things up: ”All those A&M hypocrites…”
3. Mike Bianchi on the Manziel investigation: “This should be an open-and-shut case. “
4. Joe Walljasper: “He has dropped himself into a fishbowl in which he has more in common with Justin Bieber than he does his Texas A&M teammates.”
5. Bruce Feldman talks to an autograph dealer who met Manziel during Heisman week last year.
6. And Wright Thompson profiles Manziel’s go-to guy, Nate Fitch, otherwise known as “Uncle Nate.”
7. Manziel family puts up for sale a house that’s near the Texas A&M campus.
8. Suddenly autographs are on the radar of teams across the SEC. Georgia coach Mark Richt: “They know they can’t do anything for money.” What about other places? Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson: “I don’t think anybody wants any of our guy’s autographs.”
9. “The once comical insane (Jadeveon) Clowney circus has mutated into an appalling sideshow with the start of the 2013 college football season in sight. ”
10. Manziel and Clowney top the “all-autograph” team.
11. Proposed class-action suit filed in federal court against two companies involved with helping schools market and sell athletes’ photographs and merchandise. NCAA sells an autographed Reggie Bush jersey.
12. Ole Miss says the NCAA found no evidence of violations in its investigation of defensive end C.J. Johnson.
13. Will Leitch: ”It’s clear that the big conferences have had enough of the NCAA.”
14. Tennessee senior defensive end Jacques Smith fractures his right thumb. Expected to miss four-to-six weeks but not ruled out for opener. Backup Corey Vereen out with a sore knee.
15. South Carolina junior offensive tackle Mike Matulis expected to have shoulder surgery soon- redshirt is a possibility.
16. Alabama redshirt defensive lineman Dakota Ball recently had an emergency appendectomy surgery.
17. Eight running backs on the Alabama roster but with Eddie Lacy gone to the NFL, T.J. Yeldon is expected to carry the load.
18. Nine SEC players broke the 1,000-yard barrier last season. Auburn running back Tre Mason is one of five that returns this year.
19. With Vanderbilt Jordan Matthews having a record-setting year in 2012, fellow wideout Jonathan Krause became the forgotten man.
20. Arkansas fullback Kiero Small on coach Bret Bielema: “He’s a guy’s guy. He’s a player’s coach. And he plays my style of football.”
22. Missouri weighs its options with wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham. Could he line up as an edge rusher on the punt-return team?
23. The offensive line at Mississippi State the most experienced part of the team – 94 career starts.
24. A challenge for Kentucky’s offense this year – just four returning scholarship wide receivers, only three of them have caught a pass in college.
25. Boston bombing puts focus on increased football stadium security: “So it’s not a situation where you are worried about just inside the stadium. You need to make sure the perimeter of the stadium also is secure because that’s where fans congregate.”
26. Mark Richt’s verdict on Georgia’s first scrimmage: “I thought the guys looked kind of tired. I think they were trying to fight through it. But for the first time I didn’t see much juice and that was a little disappointing to me quite frankly.”
27. Based on practices, looks like Alabama freshman running back Derrick Henry has recovered from a broken leg. ”Henry looks just fine.”
28. Tennessee coach Butch Jones’ message to his team on Wednesday: This is a big day. Alabama had a two-a-day today – full pads!”
29. The good news from Auburn’s scrimmage – three interceptions for the defense. The bad news from Auburn’s scrimmage - three interceptions for the defense.
30. South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward likes what he sees from his linebackers. ”Guys were flying around. I’m really excited about the young (freshman) linebackers.”
31. Missouri wide receiver Marcus Lucas has a strained hamstring. Tigers have a battle at guard between Max Copeland and Ole Miss transfer Mitch Hall.
32. Arkansas defensive coordinator Chris Ash on the battle at middle linebacker: “We’ve probably got the most competition at that spot right now to try to determine who is going to be the guy.”