1. Kentucky offensive coordinator Neal Brown says even after the team names a starting quarterback, they may not tell the media. “That’s going to be up to Coach Stoops. But I figure, why tell Western? Let them figure it out.”
2. Is Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky “the easiest upset pick” of the opening weekend?
3. UK defensive lineman Tristian Johnson on defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot: “He’s like a silent, silent assassin.”
4. True freshman Anthony Jennings is now the No. 2 quarterback at LSU behind Zach Mettenberger.
5. Could Florida cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy log 100 snaps in a game this year?
6. Penalties and winning go hand-in-hand at Florida. Six of eight most penalized teams in Florida history have won SEC or national titles.
7. Is there a new Johnny Manziel-type player in the SEC about to rocket to fame? Here are a few candidates.
8. Texas A&M setting up special rules for player autographs Saturday night – autograph cards only. ”No other items—for example, helmets, footballs, jerseys and photos – will be allowed…”
9. Rick Reilly compares the Johnny Manziel autograph situation to the Olsen twins: “I know two superstar collegians who took way more cash for autographs in school. Millions, in fact. ”
10. At Georgia, players are told to personalize autographs, hoping to reduce their sale value.
11. Former Ohio State and Tennessee Titans running back Eddie George on Alabama sophomore T.J. Yeldon: “He runs with a chip on his shoulder.”
12. Three Auburn walk-ons awarded with scholarships Wednesday night.
13. Gus Malzahn on wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig: “He’s the GQ guy on our staff.”
14. With Josh Williford out with a concussion at LSU, offensive guard Vadal Alexander becomes a key part of the Tigers offensive line.
15. When it comes to wide receivers and defensive backs, Mississippi State is leaning on inexperienced players to make an immediate impact.
16. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel stages a Google Hangout for fans: “I’m not very good at a lot of very good things but I’m a pretty good judge of people.”
17. Every team in the SEC has a key three-to-four game stretch that will determine its season. Athlon takes a look.
18. When it comes to wide receiver/tight end units, Alabama and Georgia have two of the best in the country.
19. At Georgia’s scrimmage under the lights, freshmen defensive backs continue to impress.
20. Performance of freshmen defensive backs also an encouraging sign at Florida.
21. With cornerback E.J. Gaines out with a strained patella at Missouri, other defensive backs are getting opportunities.l
22. Last of two-a-day practices for Auburn today. Saturday scrimmage could lead to naming starting quarterback. Clearer picture at wide receiver starting to emerge.
23. Looking like junior Blake Sims will be AJ McCarron’s backup at Alabama; redshirt freshman Alec Morris is the third option.
24. One thing coaches at Arkansas are watching - no one broke a run over 20 yards during a 107-play scrimmage over the weekend.
25. Ole Miss freshman running back Kailo Moore could be cleared today – recovering from concussion. Backup center Austin Douglas has left the program. So has defensive end Kameron Wood.
26. LSU freshman linebacker Melvin Jones is now a fullback for the Tigers – could also get a look at tight end.
27. Wide receiver injuries at South Carolina have opened up more reps for backups.
28. With lawsuits over athletes’ images and likenesses, how is each SEC school dealing with videogame maker EA Sports?
29. Former Arkansas wide receiver Mekale McKay’s transfer to Cincinnati is now official.
30. Johnny Manziel’s great-grandfather struck oil after borrowing $400 from boxer Jack Dempsey.
31. Want to recruit against John Calipari? Think again. ”It’s unfair and generally a waste of time to go up against him.”
32. A perfect hike and a perfect strike – for Mississippi State center Dillon Day.