1. A question about the Johnny Manziel investigation: “Will the NCAA expedite a case in order to deem its biggest star eligible? And why does it need to?” Former NCAA enforcement director recommends Aggies don’t play Manziel at the start of the season: “No one wants to play an athlete who’s later determined to be ineligible…”
2. New York Post writer on the Alabama – Texas A&M game: “On that day, a focused Alabama team will remove a distracted Manziel from Heisman consideration.”
3. A long day Saturday for Texas A&M coaches and players. Aggies attend funeral of defensive lineman Polo Manukainiu in a Fort Worth suburb and then back to College Station for practice.
4. Three former Vanderbilt players have been booked on rape charges. Search continues for 19-year Brandon Banks.
5. Investigation at Vanderbilt is ongoing. ”Clearly, the case is not closed.”
6. Arkansas grants Mekale McKay his scholarship release. Sophomore wide receiver will transfer.
7. JUCO transfer Duron Singleton cleared by the NCAA. Will start practice Monday at Missouri.
8. Is this the best group of cornerbacks at Florida since 2008?
9. Can wide receiver Travin Dural be a true deep threat for LSU? Les Miles: “I think that Travin could easily be one of our best receivers.”
10. The race to replace Marcus Lattimore at South Carolina has grown by one – add sophomore Shon Carson to the mix.
11. Mississippi State is counting on JUCO transfer Jeremey Chappelle to make an impact at wide receiver.
12. Eligible for the first time in his career, Georgia’s Kolton Houston is battling John Theus for the starting right tackle offensive spot.
13. Georgia defensive linemen are making the adjustment from Rodney Garner to Chris Wilson.
14. Of Gus Malzahn’s last 10 quarterbacks, only two of them have rushed for more than 200 yards: Arkansas State’s Ryan Aplin and Cam Newton.
15. Jadeveon Clowney sits out South Carolina’s Saturday scrimmage with a sore shoulder.
16. After an 85- play scrimmage Saturday, Auburn looking to narrown down the quarterback race. Gus Malzahn: ”You can’t keep repping four guys at quarterback and properly evaluate them as it gets closer.” Freshman Jeremy Johnson not making the decision easy.
17. Tigers make the punt and kick game “live” and open to tackling Saturday.
18. Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron suffers a bruised foot late in a scrimmage; some freshmen Crimson Tide defensive backs struggle.
19. Freshman Robert Nkemdiche sits out Saturday’s scrimmage at Ole Miss with a strained groin. Hugh Freeze not happy with the offense: “I don’t think we had our kids ready to go from the start.”
20. Kentucky coach Mark Stoops liked what he saw from his team Saturday night: “Offensively, much sharper, much more physical. They did a nice job all the way around.”
21. Tennessee coach Butch Jones liked what he saw Saturday from running back Rajion Neal: “Rajion ran with a purpose today.” Senior defensive tackl Mo Couch has a calf strain.
22. Arkanass coach Bret Bielema likes what he says from his Razorbacks: “I couldn’t be happier with their football IQ growth.”
23. Missouri quarterbacks coach Andy Hill on James Franklin’s performance Saturday: “He’s fully healthy this year. He’s sharp.”
24. Vanderbilt quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels: “We have one of the top defenses in the country and I believe we have one of the top offenses in the country.”
25. Missouri A.D. Mike Alden makes the argument for an extra division in college sports: ”I think that there are 60-70 schools that are different than everybody else in Division I.”
26. Tony Barnhart on the commissioners of the Big Five conferences: “It has become pretty clear that they now have some leverage to get the kind of change they ultimately want.”
27. “If the women’s rowing team is cheating, who isn’t?”
28. “There are only two situations: Roll Tide situations and not Roll Tide situations. It is bed time. Roll Tide.”