1. Nashville police plan to subpoena Vanderbilt starting quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels in connection with the rape charges against four dismissed players.
2. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin on the rape charges: “It breaks my heart.” Three of the four former players now in custody.
3. The Texas A&M football team took s a bus to Dallas this morning for the funeral of Polo Manukainiu, a redshirt freshman defensive tackle killed in a car crash last month.
4. As Ole Miss gears up to open against Vanderbilt, Rebels prepare for the possibility that one of their starting cornerbacks may not be ready to go.
5. Florida senior defensive back Jaylen Watkins sprained his foot, senior NT Damien Jacobs sprained his knee. Both projected starters out at least until August 19th. Gators expect to know about running back Matt Jones early next week.
6. Florida coach Will Muschamp on the many Gator injuries.”It’s just very frustrating.”
7. Tennesssee freshman defensive end Corey Vereen had knee surgery Thursday – could return in “five to six weeks.”
8. Georgia wide receiver Tramel Terry on his recovery from ACL surgery: “I’ll be honest; I’m not ready at all.”
9. South Carolina expects improvement from wide receiver Shaq Roland this year; didn’t always know the playbook last year. “There were times when Shaq was lost out there last year.”
10. LSU still waiting word on the eligibility of cornerback Rashard Robinson.
11. With LSU left guard Josh Williford possibly done for the season, who will take his place on the offensive line?
12. The Alabama-LSU showdown in November is important for a lot of reasons – one of them is recruiting.
13. In another showdown with Alabama, Texas A&M fans are getting their t-shirts ready.
14. Alabama coach Nick Saban on his freshmen defensive lineman: ”All three of those guys have shown some ability that they might be able to contribute this year in some role, some defined role.”
15. Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton likes the depth the Tigers have this year: ”I feel like we’ve got five, maybe six, that you can put out there on the field and be competitive and can get the job done.”
16. The meteoric rise of Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee hasn’t surprised Gus Malzahn: ”I could see he was going to be a special coach.”
17. Is linebacker a position of weakness at Arkansas?
19. Tennessee undergoing a situational and special teams scrimmage this morning. Defense “clearly won the day.”
20. LSU coach Les Miles closing practice to the media starting today – apparently not happy about media reports regarding injuries.
21. Kentucky coach Mark Stoops on UK’s Friday night practice open to the public: ”It was the first practice I could walk off and be disappointed because I just don’t think the energy was great.”
22. Arkansas defensive coordinator Chris Ash on opening today’s scrimmage to the public: “Some players have never been on the field with fans,”
23. Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner not happy with his troops after the first scrimmage: “To be honest with you, it was very disappointing. ”
24. Behind Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall at Georgia, freshmen running backs are competing for spots.
25. Former Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer wants to be a part of the College Football Playoff selection committee.
26. Who is the most annoying media person covering college football? Mark May a popular choice in a Sports Illustrated roundtable (and is Gary Danielson “an SEC shill”?)
27. Yearbook photos of some familiar SEC faces.
28. Incoming freshman Fallou Ndoye declared a partial qualifer at Mississippi State. Won’t be able to play until 2014-2015.