1. Johnny Manziel and Wednesday’s media circus. “Manziel is king of Texas and now his sport.”
2. Kevin Scarbinsky defends Johnny Football: “Manziel is 20. Shouldn’t the adults in the room actually act like the adults in the room?”
3. Jadeveon Clowney’s advice for Manziel - “just stay out of bars and stay off Twitter.”
4. How did new Kentucky coach Mark Stoops fare at his first media days? “He didn’t put on a show, but he didn’t dodge questions. He gave good answers.
5. Linebacker Avery Williamson on Stoops: “He’s brought a lot of confidence into the locker room. His staff has as well. ”
6. How important is quarterback Tyler Russell? 19 touchdowns to one interception in victories. Ratio was 5-to-9 in defeats.
7. Sophomore linebacker Benardrick McKinney on how the Bulldogs defense will be different this year. “Our defense is going to create more mayhem. We’re just going to be live-er.”
8. Lineman Antonio Richardson says no more losses to Vanderbilt. ”That won’t happen again. I promise you that.”
9. Hope for Butch Jones and the league’s three other new coaches. Of the ten returning coaches, seven had winning seasons their first year in the league.
10. Other than Johnny Manziel, the biggest story of the day was Gus Malzahn vs. Bret Bielema and the battle over uptempo offenses.
11. Auburn H-back Jay Prosch: ”Coach Malzahn wants us, whenever the official drops the ball and allows it to be in play, for us to be ready to snap the ball,”
12. Razorbacks defensive end Chris Smith on his head coach: “He’s a very outspoken guy. He’s not going to beat around the bush. ”
13. Mark your calendars. Arkansas and Auburn play on November 2.
News and Notes
14. Top quotes from Wednesday.
15. With the launch of the new SEC Network coming next year, fans want to be broadcasters.