1. Alabama’s offense scored 542 points in 2012. That’s more points than any of Nick Saban’s first 16 teams.
2. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema doesn’t want to use the “R” word. “I was emphatic, especially when I knew I had 20 seniors in that room to begin with in December, that I didn’t want it to be a rebuilding.”
3. Arkansas A.D. Jeff Long on how he recruited Bielema: “I would ask, ‘Who are the coaches in your conference I should be looking at?… Nobody could leave that conversation and think, He’s targeting Bret Bielema.”
4. Georgia with the best backfield in the SEC and Ole Miss with the worst?
5. LSU’s final four games include one at Alabama – with open dates on either side.
6. A dozen guys Tennessee should be worried about.
7. Projected by some as the top wide receiver in the class of 2013, Robert Foster expected to be academically cleared soon, paving the way for him to enroll at Alabama.
8. Two in-state players may not make it to campus for Auburn. School will release full list of summer enrollees next week.
9. Georgia junior cornerback Damian Swann is the most experienced returning player on the Bulldogs defense.
10. Ole Miss forward Aaron Jones tore his ACL in January. Targeting a full return to action by August.
11. Former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl back on the sidelines for a celebrity game. Also working at becoming a better ESPN commentator: “They like what I did, but I’ve got to get better at that…”
12. What happens if former and current college athletes get a cut of TV dollars? “The current college model isn’t just remodeled, it’s shattered like Humpty Dumpty…”
13. Former Kentucky great James Calvin Bird dies at the age of 75. In 1958 and 1959, he scored every point the Wildcats made against Tennessee, both Kentucky victories.
14. A game-winning touchdown that resulted in a mini-earthquake cemented Tommy Hudson’s place in LSU folklore.
15. Carl Torbush was the defensive coordinator for three SEC teams. He’s now the head coach at East Tennessee State.
16. Police make an arrest in connection with the burglary at the home of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.
17. “We should never be surprised at any random act of vandalism that surrounds sports.”
18. Louisville coach Rick Pitino: “C.M. Newton is still as connected as anyone in the game.”
19. Florida connections not working out for the New England Patriots? “Friends don’t let friends … draft Gators.”
20. The original five-star – 83-year old basketball scout Howie Garfinkel.