1. Mississippi State linebacker Chris Hughes indefinitely suspended, wide receiver Ricco Sanders will not return to the team in 2013. Third suspension of Hughes career.
2. Former Maryland running back Justus Pickett reportedly transferring to Tennessee. In two years at Maryland, has rushed for 416 yards.
3. The reality at Kentucky – future is bright but “coaches know the present this first fall could be ugly.”
4. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema was once offered the Auburn defensive coordinator position by Tommy Tuberville. Bielema asked again about up-tempo offenses.
5. Former Florida safety Josh Evans on Gators quarterback Jeff Driskel: “This should be a huge year for him.”
6. How good is Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews? “He reminds me of (San Francisco 49er tight end) Vernon Davis a little bit in the way.”
7. One of the impact freshmen this year in the SEC could be Arkansas running back Alex Collins.
8. 17 of Missouri’s 21 members of the class of 2013 are on campus and in summer school.
9. Michigan coach Brady Hoke: “I think people get a little overly zealous when they think the SEC is where they play football.” Rutgers coach Kyle Flood wants a home-and-home with an SEC opponent but says ”a couple teams that were available that weren’t willing to play us.”
10. The five best games in the SEC this fall? No. 1 – Alabama at Texas A&M – is no surprise.
11. Congratulations to the Mississippi State baseball team, headed to their first-ever College World Series final. Will play UCLA in a best-of-3 round starting Monday.
12. Alabama superfan Dick Coffee has died at the age of 91. Attended every Alabama from 1946 through 2012 – total of 781 consecutive games and 51 consecutive bowl games.
13. Concussion issues for former Texas A&M wide receiver Ryan Swope have caught the Arizona Cardinals off guard. “We were very, very, very surprised about it.”
14. No live scouting of future NCAA opponents. Rule doesn’t apply to college basketball tournament settings.
15. Former Kentucky coach Guy Morris on the current generation of college athletes. “This generation is very athletic. Super athletes. They’re just not very tough. Players sit out a month with a hangnail now.”
16. It’s summertime. Welcome to the silly season.
17. With no Murphy Holloway or Reginald Buckner, what’s the future look like at Ole Miss?
18. Former Tennessee player Tobias Harris on the current Vols: “I think the team they have right now is a Final Four team.”
19. Florida’s Michael Frazier II will likely play the role of the shooter off the bench for the Team USA 19-under squad coached by Billy Donovan. Team bound for Prague today.
20. South Carolina coach Frank Martin is an assistant coach for the U.S. World University Games team. Team will play in Russia in July.
21. NFL can now recoup signing bonus money from imprisoned or suspended players. Has the potential to cost Aaron Hernandez nearly $37 million.
22. Baby tumbles off a second-floor fire escape. Joe Torre’s daughter catches her.
23. Some interesting TV/computer viewing habits during Game 7 of the NBA Finals.