SEC Headlines 6/21/2013
1. The biggest losers at Tennessee? A breakdown of who has lost and gained the most weight.
2. Travel expenses are up and ticket revenue is down at Tennessee.
3. Praise for South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward. ”Only a matter of time…that he won’t be considered one of the top coordinators in the country.”
4. Stadium enhancements in Jacksonville not expected to impact seating capacity for the Florida-Georgia game.
5. What’s the outlook at inside linebacker for Georgia? “There’s going to be competition all the way up until the time we start getting ready for Clemson.”
6. One of the best games on the SEC schedule this year – LSU makes a rare appearance in Athens.
7. Does Missouri open with the SEC’s easiest schedule? “This first four will give coach Gary Pinkel a little job security. A very little.”
8. Future SEC Power Rankings: From No. 1 Alabama to No. 14 Missouri.
9. What’s the outlook in Fayetteville? “Arkansas needs to step up its game to keep pace in the West Division.”
10. Kicked off Vanderbilt’s team for a violation of team rules, defensive tackle Jared Morse has rejoined the Commodores.
11. Coach Hugh Freeze prefers to focus on the advantages at Ole Miss: “The same people that (talk about our disadvantages are also) writing that it’s in the top five of most beautiful campuses in the nation…”
12. As a wide receiver and punter for the 1989 Henderson State team, Gus Malzahn was the only married guy on the team.
13. A question mark for Auburn? ”Our punt return game in the past, that’s one area I haven’t been real pleased.”
14. Alabama lineman Cyrus Kouandjio had arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder.
16. Mike Bianchi: “When Hernandez was at UF, he was once questioned, along with three other Gator football players, about a shooting in Gainesville.”
17. Police release two videos that may provide clues to the Howard’s Rock vandalism at Clemson.
18. Judge orders lawyers in the Ed O’Bannon case against the NCAA to revise the lawsuit. Expected to get ruling in the next few weeks, then “we’ll get a better gauge of just how radically that business might change.”
19. Andy Staples: “The Curt Flood of major college sports is probably on a campus somewhere in America right now.”
20. ”Larger athletics scholarships are not a part of the push for a new division…It is the entire issue.”
21. Missouri A.D. Mike Alden is the 2013-2014 president of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.
22. Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez likes it fast. ”I’d like to have less stoppages and play faster.” See the MrSEC breakdown of what faster offenses do for defenses.
23. Former LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell – before and after.
24. Texas A&M and Notre Dame join other schools in releasing their own fragrance lines.
25. Agent for former Kentucky center Nerlens Noel responds to rumors and chatter of ”massive, massive red flags.”
26. Texas A&M’s Elston Turner was the third-leading scorer in the SEC last season. How does his game project to the NBA?
27. Does former Missouri center Alex Oriakhi have a shot at the next level?
28. Will Marshall Henderson be a leader for Ole Miss?