It really is a punch in the gut that a player for Bama is leaving the current coach to go play for the former coach at NC State.
1. The promise of LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger: ”If Mettenberger makes the leap, the Tigers will be national title contenders again.”
2. Ohio connections pay off once again for Kentucky coach Mark Stoops. Pitt players and Ohio natives Demitrious and Chris Davis – twins – transferring to Kentucky.
3. This list with a comparison to previous coaches’ efforts shows the impact Stoops and staff have made in the Buckeye State. In case you missed it, Stoops and Butch Jones continue to impress.
4. Debating the Texas A&M rivalry with Alabama. ” Why not overanalyze some comments…”?
5. A roster update at Tennessee - some walk-ons have moved on, others have been added.
6. Alabama, Auburn and Vanderbilt with soft non-conference schedules? Bruce Feldman thinks so.
7. Mark Wiedmar on Alabama and Nick Saban: “The Tide’s vehicle of choice looks more like a stretch limo than a bus these days.”
8. The NFL Network’s Gil Brandt lists his top five favorites to win the Heisman - three from the SEC. No. 1 on the list – Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron.
9. One interesting Heisman candidate to watch this year, writes Stewart Mandel, is South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney.
10. Kevin Scarbinsky on Auburn coach Gus Malzahn. ”With the right mix of talent, teaching and scheming, Malzahn’s offense can win a national championship. How do we know? It already has.”
11. Missouri wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham a potential all-SEC candidate this fall?
12. Can Ole Miss junior wide receiver Collins Moore stay healthy this fall? With no scholarship tight ends returning, the future is now for Ole Miss senior Jack Nuismer.
13. Ole Miss has permission from the NCAA for a coach to monitor the progress of quarterback Bo Wallace, who is recovering from shoulder surgery.
14. Some of the best games in the SEC this fall. Included – a rare matchup between Arkansas and Florida.
15, Missouri with the worst uniforms in the SEC? LSU with the best? Athlon ranks all 14 teams.
The Tweeting Texas A&M Quarterback
16. Matt Hayes on Johnny Manziel: “What we are witnessing, people, is the social implosion of a man who has played one season of college football – and already can’t get out of his own way.”
17. Mark Bradley: “I don’t hate Johnny Manziel. I just hate that he seems determined to take a great story and turn it into a cautionary tale.”
18. David Climer on Manziel: “Some of his fellow A&M students are bound for Kandahar. Try walking a day in their boots, Johnny Football.”
19. The MrSEC view.
20. Another magazine cover for Johnny Football. And a No. 1 ranking among college football’s best players.
21. Arkansas athletic department projecting nearly $81 million in revenue for the upcoming year - a 6.3% increase from last year’s projection.
22. Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy lifted the restrictions on Wes Lunt’s transfer near the end of the process. Quarterback is headed to Illinois.
23. UCLA – “Linebacker U”?
24. Sonny Vacarro on the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit against the NCAA: “I don’t want to be trite, but this (lawsuit) is the most illuminating part of my life…”
25. Report: Students paid more than $2 billion in student fees for athletics two years ago at only the 227 NCAA Division I public institutions.
26. Alabama releases its non-conference schedule.
27. Team USA’s 19-under roster includes Florida guard Michael Frazier II and Tennessee forward/center Jarnell Stokes.
28. Scouting report on Tennessee’s incoming freshmen: “Physically, they look like freshmen. No Jarnell Stokes man-child in the bunch.”
29. Former Alabama guard Trevor Lacy is headed to North Carolina State. Will have two years left after sitting out the upcoming season.
30. Former Drake coach Mark Phelps has joined Frank Haith’s staff at Missouri. Is this a powerhouse staff?
31. Does former Georgia star Kentavious Caldwell-Pope have a shot at being a lottery pick in the NBA draft?
32. Reese Witherspoon spotted in a Vanderbilt hat.
33. Did you know? You’re tallest when you first get out of bed.