1. Baylor coach Art Briles on SEC dominance: “They’ve put their brand on the table and they’ve walked away with all the chips.”
2. At 6-1, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is Danny Sheridan’s favorite to win the Heisman but Alabama’s T.J. Yeldon and Georgia’s Aarron Murray aren’t far behind.
3. Sheridan has Alabama as the favorite to the win the SEC and the BCS title.
4. Alabama, Florida and Texas A&M dominate Athlon’s All-SEC teams with double-digit selections. Georgia and Ole Miss not far behind with nine each.
5. Is Tennessee a trap game for Auburn?
6. When Miami celebrated winning the NBA title last year, Tennessee coach Butch Jones was in the locker room. He’s a friend of Heat coach Erik Spoelstra.
8. Five JUCO transfers that could make an impact in the SEC this fall.
9. Former LSU quarterback Tommy Hodson hasn’t played in 24 years but he’s still the school’s career passing yardage leader.
11. Auburn says it spent more than $1 million trying to save Toomer’s Oaks. It wants restitution from Harvey Updyke, Jr. but his attorney calls the request “excessive.”
13. Southern Cal offers 8th-grade wide receiver. He accepts - ”I said yes right away,”
14. Not to be outdone, UCLA has offered an 8th-grade quarterback.
15. University of Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton steppping down. A.D. Mike Alden: “He’s as good a person as I’ve ever worked with.”
16. Kentucky A.D. Mitch Barnhart says Louisville had a “nice year.” John Clay: “It’s like saying Nate Silver can count.”
17. Bowl game coming to Little Rock?
18. Coal tax money will be used to renovate Rupp Arena in Lexington. Coal-country officials aren’t happy about it.
19. Promotions on the Alabama staff include Sean Dwyer going from video coordinator to special assistant to the head coach.
20. Future looking brighter at Mississippi State?
21. Knoxville summer league features six teams – all with a Tennessee connection.
22. Some mid-major programs are also the beneficiaries of tougher SEC scheduling.
23. Theories on why some former Nick Saban players at Alabama have struggled in the NFL.