2. Scott Rabalais: “For the sake of Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia (but really just Alabama-Tennessee) the conference has forced permanent opponents down everyone else’s throats.”
3. Mark Wiedmar: “SEC championship game…arguably did as much to change college football as the forward pass.”
4. Nine of 14 SEC schools suffered attendance declines last year. Georgia A.D. Greg McGarity: “It’s at the top of our list of concerns, and we talk about it constantly.”
5. JUCO defensive tackle Jarran Reed won’t be able to transfer and play at Florida this fall – not enough credits. Now planning a spring transfer.
6. Former Alabama offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland on Nick Saban: ”I improved as a coach in my two years at Alabama because of him and his knowledge of football and his willingness to share that with me.”
7. Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on his wide receiving corps: “The best guys are going to play — I don’t care if you’re a freshman or a senior.”
8. Could Ole Miss backup quarterback Maikhail Miller emerge as a short-yardage option this fall?
9. Three of the top four most expensive opening weekend game tickets on StubHub involve SEC teams.
10. Both Alabama and LSU will participate in a tip-off event at American Airlines Center in Dallas in early November. ”The plan is to generate a lot of excitement and hype about college basketball in the city that’s hosting the Final Four.”
11. Ever wonder how much of your cable bill is from ESPN? “Basic cable customers paid an average of $5.06 a month for ESPN in 2012, making ESPN… by far the most expensive product on basic cable.”
14. An incident from her past at Tennessee could return to haunt new Rutgers A.D. Julie Hermann.