@SabanSays Funny...Kentucky had more than A&M.
1. Spring game record crowd of 45, 212 at Kyle Field watch Johnny Manziel give fans a scare with a head first block. “I immediately regretted it. It was a mistake, but it was just my competitive nature.”
2. “When Manziel got up and jogged off, you could hear the sighs of relief from the Aggie sideline to Alabama’s football offices.”
3. Estimated 50,831 fans at Kentucky’s spring game. One year ago – 4,500. Coach Mark Stoops: ”It was a great night for the program.”
4. Did quarterback Jalen Whitlow emerge from the pack Saturday?
5. He was wearing shorts and no pads, but Jadeveon Clowney scored a touchdown at South Carolina’s spring game.
6. Mike Davis wins the running back job at South Carolina and Steve Spurrier likes his tight ends. “I think you can tell we’ve got some tight ends that can really play,”
7. True freshman quarterback Johnny McCrary played in Vanderbilt’s spring game- his dad died of a heart attack on Tuesday.
8. Vandy’s projected starters barely beat the second team Saturday.
9. Crowd of 28,000 on hand at the Grove Bowl. But Ole Miss spring game really just another practice because of injuries.
10. Rebels unveil new uniforms.
12. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel on wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham. ”I think we’re starting to see really how good he can be.”
13. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema likes the way his offensive line has progressed: “If there’s a group from when we started to where we are that had to change the most and have done that, it’s been the offensive line.”
14. Timed at a sub 4.3 4o-yard dash, Mississippi State redshirt freshman wide receiver Brandon Holloway has speed to burn.
15. Alabama’s defense is banged up but coach Nick Saban still didn’t sound enthusiastic about their performance Saturday. “We definitely have a lot of things that we can correct on that side of the ball.”
17. Columnist on Auburn’s recent troubles: “I don’t know which is higher: The touchdowns Cam Newton accounted for or the number of issues surrounding that team.”
18. Quarterback Zach Mettenberger dominates LSU’s second scrimmage Saturday.
19. When John Chavis was hired as defensive coordinator at LSU, his first request was to hire Brick Haley as defensive line coach.
20. Ricky Tarrant is transferring to Alabama. The 2012 Conference USA Newcomer of the Year at Tulane will have to sit out 2013-2014 season.
21. Tennessee’s Jordan McRae won’t be leaving for the NBA. “I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be a part of next year’s team, because I think we have a chance to have a great season.”
22. This preseason projection has Tennessee at No. 16, Florida at No. 8 and Kentucky No. 1.
23. Possible off-season knee surgery for Florida’s Will Yegeute.
24. With Phil Pressey leaving campus, Tulsa transfer Jordan Clarkson has an opportunity to shine at point guard for Missouri next year.