For the third straight year, the Florida Gators are playing in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament. The last two years, this is where the Gators’ season ended. First to Butler, then to Louisville – two losses by a combined seven points. Today, they are matched up against a Michigan team with an identical record, 29-7. Today’s game on CBS is scheduled for 2:10 Eastern Time.
1. Since the NCAA expanded the tournament beyond 16 teams, there has never been a team that’s lost three straight regional finals.
2. Florida is the more experienced team. Gators start three seniors, Wolverines start three freshmen.
3. The Gators’ senior class is 9-4 in NCAA Tournament games.
4. Florida coach Billy Donovan on a Michigan team that averages 75.4 points per game. “Clearly from an offensive efficiency standpoint, they may be the best in the country.”
5. Top offense against a great defense. Florida center Patric Young on Michigan guard Trey Burke - who scored 23 points in the second half and overtime against Kansas. “I consider myself one of the top pick-and-roll defenders in the country. We’ll have to be even better because Trey Burke is extraordinary.”