1. Texas A&M official on the lawsuit involving Johnny Manziel and alleged infringement of the “Johnny Football” trademark. ”Manziel has a right to keep any winnings from a civil proceeding as a private entity…”
2. But what about an intentional copyright violation for the purposes of funneling money to an athlete? That crosses the line.
3. Rick Reilly: “So what target should Johnny Football sue next?”
4. Manziel will face his former backup this fall - Jameill Showers transferring to UTEP. Miners and Aggies meet in November and Showers will be eligible immediately.
5. Zander Ogletree’s career at Georgia is over - unspecified medical reasons. The Bulldogs fullback is the twin brother of linebacker Alec Ogletree, who left Georgia early to enter NFL draft.
6. Ole Miss linebacker/defensive end Ralph Williams is apparently leaving the team.
7. The search for a running backs coach at Tennessee. ”This is the SEC, and staff diversity is an imperative, not an option.”
8. Tennessee coach Butch Jones goes NASCAR. He’ll be the grand marshal of the Food City 500 at Bristol next month.
9. Players from the SEC, Big 12 and Pac-12 will wear electronic tracking devices next season. Safety cited as one of the reasons.
10. Auburn assistant coach Scott Fountain on fullback Jay Prosch: “I just think he can give us another dimension in the running game that we didn’t have two years ago, or even the year we won the national championship.”
11. South Carolina’s opener against North Carolina will be on a Thursday night and televised by ESPN.
12. Reserved seating for this year’s Kentucky spring game.
NFL Scouting Combine
13. Former Texas A&M running back Christine Michael oversleeps – misses two interviews.
14. With the fastest 40-yard dash time among defensive backs, former Mississippi State cornerback Darius Slay’s draft stock is on the rise. Johnthan Banks time was fourth-slowest among DBs.
15. Alabama’s Dee Milliner “up-and-down day” and some other notes on SEC defensive backs.
16. Scouting report on former Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson: “His speed is rare and his ability to chase plays down in pursuit is uncommon.”
17. ESPN’s Mark May: If Manti Te’o is a first-round pick “then all 5 Bama linemen are top 10 picks.”
18. Will a no-call at the end of the Alabama-Tennessee game back on January 26th cost the Crimson Tide?
19. Mike Strange: “It’s no longer premature to speculate whether the Vols can muster a late charge into the NCAA tournament conversation.”
21. Kevin Scarbinsky wonders about Tony Barbee’s future at Auburn. ”Quite possibly the worst Auburn basketball team in the last quarter-century.”
22. Here’s one guy who doesn’t want to see Auburn and Alabama play again in the SEC Tournament. ”Oh, hell, no. Haven’t we suffered enough?”
23. Arkansas at LSU tonight. Arkansas coach Mike Anderson on LSU sophomore Johnny O’Bryant: “A double-double waiting to happen.” Guard Charles Carmouche logged 54 minutes of playing time in the triple OT win over Alabama.
24. New nickname for Arkansas freshman Anthlon Bell – “Shoot Soon.”
25. Texas A&M travels to Ole Miss. Rebels will try to contain Aggies guard Elston Turner who torched them for 37 points two weeks ago. Aggies haven’t won more than one in a row in the last five weeks.
26. Will Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson come off the bench again for the Rebels?
27. Mississippi State at Kentucky. Rupp Arena a tough place for the Bulldogs try to break a 12-game losing streak. Coach Rick Ray: “There’s nobody in the country that has went through what we’ve went through.”
28. Kentucky’s Julius Mays logged 83 minutes of playing time last week - 39 against Vanderbilt and 44 against Missouri in the overtime win.
29. Georgia travels to Vanderbilt. Bulldogs can help their SEC Tournament seeding with a road win tonight. Teams seeded 11 through 14 have to win 5 game to win the tourney, top four seeds get double-byes.
30. Attendance at Vanderbilt’s Memorial Gym down 22 percent this year – biggest drop in the SEC. Georgia coach Mark Fox: “I think it’s maybe a generational problem.”
31. Missouri coach Frank Haith worries about his team not being focused on defense: “Our guys put so much of a premium on seeing the ball go in the basket.”
32. Ken Pomeroy’s defensive efficiency rankings are good news for Florida.
33. Andy Glockner’s Bubble Watch has five SEC teams with “work left to do” - Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Tennessee.
34. Former Tennessee men’s basketball strength coach Troy Willis used a saw to break into Thompson-Boling Arena - arrested on burglary and vandalism charges.
35. The cult of the coach. ”Caring about Alabama football or Kentucky basketball does not require a diploma so much as it does a willingness to align with whatever virtues or values we might wish onto those uniforms.”
36. Former Maryland star Len Bias died of a cocaine overdose – proposal to honor him with a statue is withdrawn.