1. When Tennessee plays at Alabama this afternoon, Vols want to get back in the habit of playing good defense. Crimson Tide need to finish – have lost six of their last eight games.
2. As Auburn travels to South Carolina today, Tigers find themselves in the middle of their best three-game stretch of the year. Gamecocks coach Frank Martin: “We are not going to take a backseat to anybody.”
3. With Mississippi State at Georgia, MSU worries about depth. Only nine active players – three of them were on the bench battling leg cramps Wednesday night. Two players suspended for Georgia in a blowout loss to Florida will be back today. Coach Mark Fox called it a “major distraction.”
4. When Florida plays at LSU, Gators coach Billy Donovan knows he has depth. Eight players have scored in double figures for the Gators this year, five had led Florida in assists. LSU coach Johnny Jones: “We are playing not only one of the best teams in the SEC, but one of the best teams in the country.”
5. A&M coach Texas A&M Billy Kennedy noted what Vanderbilt did to Kentucky in the second half Thursday night. ”We’re prepared to play zone if we have to.” John Calipari wasn’t happy with his defense Thursday night, especially the play of forward Kyle Wiltjer. “Either we play zone or you don’t play.”
6. As Vanderbilt travels Arkansas, the end of the Kentucky game and the non-reviewable shot-clock call is still on the mind of Commodores coach Kevin Stallings. ESPN PR rep on confusion in the broadcast: “We’ve spoken to all involved in order to have a deeper understanding and better execution next time.”
7. Razorbacks try to bounce back from a disappointing SEC opener at Texas A&M. Mike Anderson: “The one thing, we’re not going to panic.”
8. Missouri plays at Ole Miss tonight without forward Laurence Bowers. Coach Frank Haith puts an emphasis on rebounding and watching game film says Connecticut transfer Alex Oriakhi: “I’ve never watched as much film since I’ve been in college since I got to Missouri.” Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy on the win at Tennessee: “It’s a real big boost for us.”