1. Three SEC teams playing New Year’s Day bowl games. Looking for our SEC bowl previews? (2-0 yesterday, BTW, including a prediction for a one-point Clemson win).
2. Why Georgia needs a strong finish to its season today in the Capital One Bowl against Nebraska: “For a program that preaches, ‘Finish the drill,’ the failure of just finishing the season would become an increasing concern.”
3. A South Carolina win over Michigan today in the Outback Bowl means the Gamecocks would likely finish in the top 10 for the second straight season.
4. Mississippi State vs. Northwestern in the Gator Bowl- which team has more motivation?
5. Gator Bowl president wants to stay with the SEC and the Big Ten: “It’s obvious they’re the two best conferences in America, the SEC for the last seven years and the Big Ten for the past 100 years.
6. Ole Miss will depart for Birmingham this afternoon in preparation for Saturday’s BBVA Compass Bowl. Rebels have distributed more than 23,000 tickets for the game.
7. Florida is staying close to Bourbon Street but Gators insist they are focused on football.
NFL Draft Prospects
9. Three draft picks from Auburn in the 2013 draft?
10. Four Georgia players will make their decisions by January 15th. Mark Richt: “Nobody’s told me point-blank one way or the other what they’re going to do.”
11. Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore on declaring for the NFL draft: “I’m ready to get out there and play this game at the highest level.”
12. Aggies linebacker Sean Porter on the difference between the college and pro game. “ I talk to some of my friends in the NFL, and they say it’s completely different. You don’t get this same kind of bond.”
13. NFL draft prospects to watch in the bowl games.
14. Kevin Scarbinsky on new Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: “No coach in college football history has had better timing.”
15. How did James Franklin turn things around at Vanderbilt? “We just put our earmuffs on and kept bombarding these guys with the same positive messages.”
16. Former Oklahoma quarterback and current Sooners offensive coordinator Josh Heupel on Johnny Manziel: ”He’s a great playmaker, but I’m most impressed with how well he’s taken care of the football for a young player who does run around.”
17. Texas A&M linebacker Sean Porter on practicing against the Heisman Trophy winner: “That guy is on top of the world right now, and as seniors, it’s our job to bring him down a little bit.’’
18. What’s it like to practice against the Alabama offense and running back Eddie Lacy? Tide safety Haha Clinton-Dix: ”You know, he can run you over or he can shake you. So it’s hard. But we enjoy it.”
19. Andy Staples on AJ McCarron: “Playing quarterback at Alabama is one of the toughest jobs in sports.”
20. Two-and-a-half pound burger – Alabaman lineman Chance Warmack ate two of them.
21. Alabama expected to play Wisconsin ($) in the 2015 Cowboys Classic.
22. Butch Jones inherits a Tennessee team with an expected 65 scholarship players - 31 of them have never started.
23. South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger was headed to Tennessee before Phillip Fulmer was fired. “I wanted to go to Tennessee since I was young.”
24 Derek Dooley’s top 10 tweets.
25, Mike Bianchi on Charlie Strong: “He probably should have left Louisville a couple of weeks ago for a bigger, better job at Tennessee.”
26, An All-SEC NFL team.
27, Oregon coach Chip Kelly looks to be the coaching target of the Cleveland Browns.
28, Kentucky coach John Calipari denies he commited free-throw shooter fraud against Lousiville Saturday.
29. Kentucky guard Ryan Harrow on his coach : “Coach Cal is different than any coach that I’ve ever came up against…”
30. SEC conference RPI now ninth in the country – why it’s a good thing the SEC has football.