1. Les Miles set to become only the fifth coach in college football to be paid more than $4 million a year. His contract extension and raise going before LSU Board of Supervisors on February 1. Joins Nick Saban, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer in the $4 million + crowd.
2. For the third time in four years, Nick Saban is the Bobby Bowden National Collegiate Coach of the Year.
3. Tennessee courted Charlie Strong before hiring Butch Jones - the Louisville coach now one of the 10 highest paid coaches in college football. Eight-year contract extension will pay him a base salary of $3.7 million annually.
4. A former Joker Phillips’ staff member at Kentucky linked to two secondary violations.
5. Birmingham attorney Don Jackson on the screwup in the NCAA investigation at Miami and the implications for Missouri basketball coach Frank Haith: “I do know that now every aspect of this case is in question.” The MrSEC view.
6. Bryan Burwell: “Where does Frank Haith go to get his reputation back?”
8. Mel Kiper on Manziel teammate, offensive lineman Jake Matthews, who decided to stay for his senior year. “He could be in the conversation as a top-10 pick in 2014.”
9. Texas high school coach on the Aggies: “The kids recognize what the SEC is all about, and now it’s close to home.”
10. Georgia offensive tackle John Theus had surgery on his foot Wednesday – will miss part of spring practice.
11. Former Tennessee lineman Dallas Thomas will miss the Senior Bowl because of an injury. Ex-teammate Cordarelle Patterson, leaving school early for the NFL draft, is headed to Texas for the All-Star Football Challenge.
12. Former Alabama safety Robert Lester has substituted his area code for his jersey number at Senior Bowl practices.
13. Athlon ranks the 15 best SEC teams of the BCS era - from the 2009 Alabama team to the 2007 Georgia Bulldogs.
14. ESPN is listing the 25 best players in the SEC – today is Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews.
15. Tennessee at Ole Miss. Tad Pad tickets are suddenly a hot item.Ole Miss forward Murphy Holloway: “People are jumping on the bandwagon and riding it.”
16. But the Tad Pad is also knows as the “Sad Pad” - a new basketball arena is front and center in a $150 million fundraising effort at Ole Miss – halfway to goal.
17. Ole Miss beat Tennessee in Knoxville but now - “It’s payback week,” says Vol guard Josh Richardson. Vols are 0-4 this season in true road games.
18. Tough couple of games for Texas A&M’s Elston Turner following his 40-point outburst against Kentucky.
19. Season-high 19 steals for LSU last night against the Aggies - fourth-highest single-game total in program history.
20. John Clay on this year’s Kentucky team: The roster is short a player. It’s a recipe minus ingredients.
21. Classy gesture by former UK guard John Wall.
22. Joe Walljasper on Missouri without Laurence Bowers: “They’re lost without him.” (Could be back Saturday for Vanderbilt, though).
23. Andy Glockner looks toward the NCAA Tournament: “At this point, pretty much anything seems possible as we start to glance toward March.”
24. He was the mastermind of the hoax – and also the voice of the girlfriend? On all those long-distance calls, Manti Te’ o was apparently talking to a man.
25. Former Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson’s transition to wide receiver is underway at Senior Bowl practices.
26. Super Bowl starters - back when they were college recruits.
27. Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay sends a guy $8,500 for correctly predicting the Ravens-Patriots score Sunday.
28. Apple’s Macintosh Computer and the famous 1984 commercial debuted 29 years ago – the ad was almost canceled.