How exactly does Ole Miss have 1 more win than Florida, both 4-0 in the conference, yet 15 places BEHIND?
1. The Ole Miss basketball team is off to its best start in 76 years and has the Rebels ranked in both polls – No. 23 in AP and No. 24 in the coaches poll. Ole Miss is 15-2 and 4-0 in the conference. Two other SEC teams are ranked. Florida (14-2) is No. 8 in the AP Poll with Missouri (13-4) at No. 22. In the USA Today Coaches Poll, Florida comes in at No. 7, Missouri stays at 22. Tigers have played and lost – by double-digits – to both Florida and Ole Miss. No other SEC teams received votes in either poll.
2. Andy Katz: “If you thought Phil Pressey was Missouri’s most important player, you may have been wrong. In my opinion, it is clearly Laurence Bowers.” Bowers out tomorrow night against South Caroina, both Keion Bell and Earnest Ross may not play.
3. Auburn assistant coach Randall Dickey: “The excitement around Auburn basketball is the highest it’s been since we’ve been here.”
4. With Mark Fox feeling some heat at Georgia, Florida coach Billy Donovan offers praise. “He is a great guy. He does things the right way, I think he’s a hell of a basketball coach.” Fox is 57-56 in three plus years at Georgia. Florida plays at Georgia Wednesday night.
5. Florida forward Casey Prather will be out at least another week – he’s battling a high ankle sprain.
6. John Calipari on Alabama’s guards: “Their guard play is as good as anybody in the country right now.” Kentucky plays Alabama Tuesday night.
7. Calipari gives an update on freshman Willie Cauley-Stein, coming off a knee procedure.: “If I don’t think he can help us, we’ll probably leave him home, but if he says he can go, he’ll be with us.”