1. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema has hired Washington running backs coach Joel Thomas – official announcement came this morning. Fumbling the ball has been an issue for the Razorbacks.
2. Alabama will face a talented front seven in Notre Dame’s defense. Here are two big reasons they are so good.
3. Teammates provided Alabama right tackle D.J. Fluker with a little extra motivation.
4. Alabama won a national title 20 years ago, but a signature on a napkin would haunt the program for years.
5. LSU or Clemson - which stadium is the real Death Valley?
6. Florida guard Kenny Boynton is in the worst shooting slump of his career – just 4 for his last 32 attempts behind the three-point arc.
7. Sports Illustrated’s Rob Dauster on Florida: “For as good as the Gators are defensively,they are not an elite team when they are getting production from their backcourt.”
8. Jeff Eisenberg at Yahoo! Sports on Saturday SEC basketball: “On a day when Texas A&M lost to Southern, Alabama fell to Mercer and Auburn failed to beat Winthrop, Ole Miss somehow, someway may have suffered the SEC’s most damaging defeat.”
9. Ole Miss bounced back on Sunday. Rebels beat San Francisco 85-78 behind 23 points and 13 rebounds from Murphy Holloway.
10. Since John Calipari has coached Kentucky, Rick Pitino is 0-4 against his old team. But that may change on Saturday when Kentucky travels to Louisville.
SEC In The NFL
11. Former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy became the first New York Jets QB to be sacked 11 times in a game since David Norrie in 1987.
12. Naming McElroy the starting quarterback in New York had Tim Tebow so frustrated he reportedly opted out of any Wildcat packages on Sunday. Tebow is a popular guy.
13. Former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, made contact with an official and appeared to have kicked an Oakland defensive lineman in yesterday’s 17-6 Carolina win.
14. CBSSports.com: Source on chances that Nick Saban stays at Alabama vs. heading to the Cleveland Browns? “80-20 he stays.”
15. The only college coach with perhaps even more rumors than Saban? Oregon’s Chip Kelly. The Philadelphia Eagles reportedly after him. Just last month, Eagles fans (and more than a few Tennessee fans) were screaming for Jon Gruden.