1. Alabama center Barrett Jones is swimming to rehab his injured foot. Jones sprained his foot in the SEC Championship Game.
2. From running backs coach at Notre Dame to A.D. at Alabama, Mal Moore brings a unique perspective to the BCS Championship Game.
3. Notre Dame is built like an SEC team – starting with the defensive line.
4. South Carolina redshirt freshman running back Shon Carson was going to miss the entire 2012 season with a wrist injury but he’s healthy now and will play in the bowl game.
5. South Carolina’s D.J. Swearinger will play his final game for the Gamecocks in the Outback Bowl. USC is 37-15 in Swearinger’s four years.
6. Swearinger one of two SEC players suspended this year for flagrant hits to the head - something the SEC has made a point to emphasize. Tim Tebow admitted in his autobiography that he played a game in 2009 with post-concussion symptoms.
7. Georgia is arriving in Orlando today, players will hit Universal Studios Thursday and Disney World on Saturday.
8. LSU arrives in Atlanta today to begin bowl game prep against Clemson.
9. LSU linebacker Lamin Barrow returns to where it all began. He made his college debut in the Chik-fil-A Kickoff Game two years ago.
10. Sugar Bowl trip pays Florida just over $1.8 million. But total trip expenses are just under $2.5 million.
11. Vanderbilt sees similarities in their bowl-game opponent quarterback, North Carolina State’s Mike Glennon, and Tennessee QB Tyler Bray. “I would put him a very close second, in terms of arm strength, behind Bray.”
12. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin on staying at home and playing in the Music City Bowl. ”The only bad bowl is the one you’re not playing in.”
13. Did you know? Vanderbilt has the longest winning streak in the SEC.
14. One writer predicts an 8-1 bowl season for the SEC.
15. The Sporting News Matt Hayes on why the spread is dead and why Tennessee fans should stop “whining/pining for Gruden.”
16. At both Central Michigan and Cincinnati, Butch Jones took over Brian Kelly-led teams that had won conference titles. Coattail riding? ”I have a tremendous amount of respect and he’s a very close friend of mine, but I think that’s the furthest thing from the truth.”
17. Melvin Smith is leaving Mississippi State to join Gus Malzahn’s staff at Auburn where he’ll coach cornerbacks. The hiring completes Auburn’s defensive coaching staff.
18. Ole Miss 81 – Hawaii 66. Tied at 63, the Rebels go on 18-3 run to finish the game.
19. The Rebels were in Hawaii playing in the Diamond Head Classic – a tournament that South Carolina will play in next year.
20. Arkansas coach Mike Anderson had his Razorbacks practicing Christmas night with tw0-a-days scheduled for today and tomorrow.
21. Is Kentucky’s Ryan Harrow really as good as any point guard in the country?
22. Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel has two older brothers that play college football – one at North Carolina State and one at Boston College.
23. One writer thinks Missouri may be the best team in the SEC, but a road trip to UCLA Friday night should provide a good reality check.