1. Forbes says Nick Saban is the most powerful college football coach in America – “Saban leads all coaches in almost every measure of power.” Steve Spurrier and Les Miles in Top 10.
1A. Forbes also releases list of college football’s most valuable teams – SEC with eight of the top 20: LSU No. 4, Georgia No. 5, Alabama No. 6, Florida No. 7, Auburn No. 8, Tennessee No. 9, Arkansas No. 10, South Carolina No. 17. (Texas was No. 1 on the list)
2. When Nick Saban wanted out of the NFL, Alabama A.D. Mal Moore could identify. He also worked in the NFL – as an assistant with the Cardinals: ” I used to tell people, nobody in St. Louis or Phoenix, nobody would ever come by to see us. You know why? Because nobody gives a damn.”
3. “Zero chance” Saban leaves for the Cleveland Browns?
4. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin has earned in $150,000 in bonuses on top of his $2 million salary.
5. Sumlin and Vanderbilt coach James Franklin finalists for Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award.
6. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on the team he inherited: ”It’s obvious we do have deficiencies, but the great thing is I think I have a very good grasp of what they are.”
7. Malzahn says next hires could be coming soon - bowl games or NFL may impact timing.
8. Tennessee coach Butch Jones and staff - in Google Maps form.
9. Joker Phillips is already making an impact as receivers coach at Florida.
11. South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is a 19-year old college athlete – a year-and-a-half away from NFL millions.
12. Alabama center Barrett Jones has a sprained left foot, in a cast, but insists he’ll be ready to go against Notre Dame. ”Gonna be fine. Can’t wait to play.”
13. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops on Johnny Manziel: “Sometimes the worst thing you can do is cover everybody.”
14. As an early enrollee in January of 2009, LSU linebacker Kevin Minter remembers his first practice: “Everybody had said it was going to be fast, but man! It could’ve been third-team guys. Everybody was moving. It was just, I don’t know. I really had to wake up.”
15. Les Miles thinks his 2013 offense could be his best-ever at LSU.
16. Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter is headed to the NFL. QB Tyler Bray and WR Cordarrelle Patterson probably aren’t far behind. If Vol fans could keep one – it would be Patterson.
17. Nick Saban on AJ McCarron’s decision to stay at Alabama: “AJ loves college football, he loves being here, he loves being on the team.”
18. Is quarterback Jacoby Brissett a transfer candidate at Florida? OC Brent Pease: “I’m sure that might come up at the end of the season, and selfishly I hope it doesn’t, but I support the kid either way.”
19. It will be a three-way battle for quarterback at Kentucky next year. New offensive coordinator Neal Brown: ”It’s going to be an open competition.” Brown met the media for the first time in his new role Tuesday -press conference video.
20. Missouri freshman safety Ka’Ra Stewart dismissed from team – two pot arrests in two months.
21. When Georgia plays Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl, Mark Richt’s cousins will probably be rooting for the Cornhuskers.
22. Richt makes it official – Malcolm Mitchell is staying on offense.
23. Georgia’s Garrison Smith may be the only senior starter on the Bulldogs defense next year.
25. Mississippi State has sold almost 9,600 tickets to the Gator Bowl, not as strong as previous years.
26. Different story at Ole Miss – more than 21,000 tickets sold for bowl game – believed to be the most in the SEC.
27. Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace is resting his injured shoulder – took more snaps than any SEC quarterback this year except for Johnny Manziel.
28. Vanderbilt running back Zac Stacy and Ole Miss linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche make this list of underrated players to watch this bowl season.
29, Phil Steele’s Bowl Guide.
30. Auburn 81 – Tennessee Tech 62: Freshman Jordan Price makes 11 straight 3-pointers – ties SEC record. Chris Denson with a season-high 20 points. Denson dunk video.
33. LSU 66 – UC Irvine 60. Season-best 19 points for Andre Stringer.
34. Georgia 58- 49. 11:30 a.m. tipoff played in front of 4,000 elementary students. Coach Mark Fox: “After what happened in Connecticut, you can’t look at those kids the same.”
35. The Georgia basketball team probably shouldn’t count on any help from tight end Jay Rome this season.
37. South Carolina vs. Appalachian State. Back-to-back losses had Frank Martin contemplating a career as a bartender.
38. “Cupcake” diet at Kentucky. Marshall will be fourth straight home opponent with RPI no better than 150.
39. When it comes to Alabama coach Anthony Grant, the key word is “better.”
40. Two of the biggest non-conference games are up next for Missouri – Illinois and UCLA.
41. Providence wears the colors of Sandy Hook elementary school Tuesday night and blocked off 26 seats.