1. Bret Bielema hires his first assistant coach at Arkansas - Defensive coordinator Chris Ash will follow the new Razorbacks coach from Wisconsin.
2. Was Gus Malzahn the best SEC coaching hire this offseason? That’s what Athlon Sports says.
3. When it comes to Twitter – LSU’s Les Miles is the most popular coach in America (Mark Richt, Butch Jones, Dan Mullen, Bret Bielema and Will Muschamp all in the Top 10).
4. Nick Saban will get inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.
5. Looking like either Texas A&M coordinator Kliff Kingsbury or Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris as the next coach at Texas Tech. Morris interviewed Tuesday.
6. Tee Martin turned down Tennessee but he could return some day. John Adams: “One day, he could be recruiting the Southeast on behalf of the Vols. Now, just isn’t the right time.”
7. Kentucky has a new offensive line coach – former UK player John Schlarman.
8. Missouri posts an official help wanted ad. Assistant coach Josh Henson and former OC David Yost both offered coordinator jobs.
9. Upset stomach? Thinking about Skyline Chili? “The waitress brought our food out, and we thought (Tuberville) went to the bathroom, but he never came back to dinner.”
10. Barry Alverez gets a one-time bump of almost $120K for coaching and athletic director duties at Wisconsin.
NFL Draft Prospects
11. South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore has a 4 p.m. Eastern news conference scheduled - expected to enter 2013 NFL draft.
12. Mel Kiper on Lattimore’s draft prospects: “Right now I write wild card by his name.”
13. Mel Kiper on Lattimore’s teammate: “ Obviously, Jadeveon Clowney, if he was in the draft, he’d be No. 1 overall. He’ll be the No. 1 guy in the draft hopefully after his junior year.”
14. Mel Kiper on Tyler Bray: “I would say right now another year at Tennessee would benefit him.”
15. Mel Kiper on Aaron Murray: “If he wants to be a first-round pick and improve his stock, you go back.”
16. Mel Kiper on LSU – “a ton of (NFL draft) prospects.”
18. Kentucky guard Larry Warford is the first All-American lineman for UK since 1989. Here’s how Kentucky O-lineman have fared in the NFL draft.
19. How big a role did Texas A&M’s victory over Alabama play in Johnny Manziel’s Heisman? “Without the Alabama win, Manziel is just another freshman phenom who doesn’t make it to New York City for the ceremony.”
20. When it comes to bowl games, LSU is like Jerry Seinfeld- Even Steven: “LSU just got the short end this year. In other years, it got more of a bowl than it deserved.”
21. Tigers resume practice Thursday.
22. Mississippi State A.D. Scott Stricklin on the Bulldogs football attendance: “What’s really exciting, I don’t have the updated numbers, I know going into this season, 17 of the 20 largest crowds we’ve ever had at Mississippi State have been since Dan’s been our head coach.”
23. Think of the Music City Bowl as a homecoming for Vanderbilt – “one that actually is better than the real thing.”
24. If this way-too-early forecast has any merit, the SEC will be very good in 2013.
25. Three names to watch in 2013 at Ole Miss.
26. Alabama freshman linebacker Denzel Devall drawing comparisons to Courtney Upshaw.
27. Darius Rucker, former lead singer of Hootie & The Blowfish turned country music performer, will sing the National Anthem when South Carolina plays Michigan in the Outback Bowl.
28. Highest ratings ever for ESPN and their coverage of the Heisman ceremony Saturday night.
29. Some of the best quotes from the Bo Jackson documentary.
30. ESPNU will air a documentary on former Kentucky star Sam Bowie.
31. “The bottom-line is this: the Big East’s basketball schools are screwed, no matter how you slice it.”
32. LSU 80 – Tennessee-Chattanooga 67. Point guards Andre Stringer and Corban Collins combine for 29 points and 7 assists.
33. Auburn 92 – Grambling State 42. Tigers largest margin of victory since January, 2000.
34. Sharief Adumu dismissed from Auburn team. Fourth player dismissed or let go in 2012 by coach Tony Barbee.
35. Junior-college prospect that signed with Mississippi State in November released from his scholarship.
36. Tennesssee averaging 61.4 points a game – that’s 288th in the country.
37. Missouri’s team is a lot taller than last year’s edition – and that’s produced some growing pains. Tigers expected to get boost from Oregon transfer Jabari Brown.