1. Dennis Dodd: Alabama fired Gene Chizik here on Saturday.
2. “Alabama has done Auburn officials a great service.”
3. John Adams on why Tennessee needs a big-name coach: “UT’s last two hires were up-and-comers with losing records. You know how that worked out.”
4. 32 of 37 football coaches polled by Chattanooga paper gave Derek Dooley and staff a failing grade on recruiting front.
5. SEC football fans not the only ones clamoring for Jon Gruden – plenty of NFL fans are as well.
6. A.D. Mitch Barnhart on the Kentucky search: ”We won’t short-circuit the process. I don’t see any reason to do that. We’ll let you know when we get done.”
8. Kentucky defensive coordinator Rick Minter: ”I feel bad so bad for Joker, I really do, because he was a lifer here that really was on the right track,” Minter said. “I know people don’t want to hear that but he was on the right track.”
9. Potential shakeup of the Missouri coaching staff just one of many questions facing Gary Pinkel.
SEC Championship Game
10. Tony Barnhart: “The University of Georgia is getting ready to play its most consequential football game in 30 years.”
11. Jeff Schultz: Georgia had never reached this elevation before under Mark Richt.
12. Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham pays tribute to Nick Saban: “He’s one of the reasons that my career has been successful as it’s been.”
13. Alabama guard Chance Warmack can’t wait to play Georgia. ”I’m from Alanta. I moved there when I was young. Just to play those guys is going to be an amazing feeling for me.”
14. Winner gets Notre Dame in the BCS title game. Alabama last played Notre Dame when Lou Holtz was the coach.
Bowl Games & Projections
15. With Notre Dame winning Saturday night, looks like Florida is headed to the Sugar Bowl. Andy Staples: “If Muschamp’s attitude has truly permeated the team, the next few years could be quite interesting in Gainesville.”
16. Just about anywhere below the Sugar Bowl in the SEC pecking order is possible for South Carolina.
17. Similar situation at LSU – Tigers could be headed to one of four bowl games.
18. Capital One Bowl officials scouted Texas A&M Saturday night.
20. Ole Miss likely headed to the Compass Bowl.
Milestones (not previously noted) & Movers
22. Auburn’s Tre Mason breaks the thousand-yard mark – on the final play of the game Saturday.
23. Auburn wide receiver Emory Blake goes over 2,000 career receiving yards.
24. Kendial Lawrence records a thousand-yard season for Mizzou.
25. He redshirted in 2009, injured in 2010 and 2011, in the final game of 2012, Tennessee defensive back Naz Oliver gets his first career tackle.
27. Ole Miss linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche says brother Robert – the nation’s No. 1 recruit – will join him at Ole Miss.
28. Missouri 68 – VCU 65. 11 points and 8 assists for Phil Pressey.
29. Wisconsin 77 – Arkansas 70. Badgers outscore Razorbacks 48-30 in second half.
30. South Carolina 74 – Missouri State 67 (OT). 22 points and six rebounds for LaShay Page.
31. LSU 75 – Mississippi State 50. 16 points and a career-high 11 rebounds for Shavon Coleman. Tigers 4-0 for the first time since the 2008-2009 season.
32. The humble East St. Louis upbringings of coach Cuonzo Martin and his role model mother.