1. Writer on Tide versus NFL talk: “This runaway inflation of Alabama’s reputation is the last thing the Crimson Tide needs before playing a road game against the one team on the schedule most capable of beating it.”
2. A hint that he’ll survive? Gene Chizik “mapped out part of the 2013 depth chart” for Auburn last night.
3. Arkansas receiver and emergency quarterback Brandon Mitchell will be suspended for a second straight game tomorrow.
4. Asked if the “Mad Hatter” would pull out any tricks against Alabama, LSU’s Les Miles removed his hat and said, “Should I tell him? Nah, I think I’ll keep the old hat on.”
5. How can Mississippi State stop Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel? Keep him on the sideline.
6. Georgia’s riding high after a win over Florida, but Ole Miss travels to Athens with some confidence of its own.
7. Texas A&M receiver Ryan Swope… “he’s our rock.”
8. Florida defensive lineman Leon Orr will miss tomorrow’s Missouri game after being hospitalized with the flu. But Orr isn’t alone. Will Muschamp on the flu bug: “We’ve been hit pretty good this week.”
9. Georgia running back Todd Gurley is on pace to become just the second Bulldog freshman to rush for a thousand yards in a season. (Some guy named Herschel was the other.)
10. Last year’s Vanderbilt game was a low point for Kentucky’s defense…
11. And Commodore running back Zac Stacy was a big reason why.
12. South Carolina’s Kenny Miles will again try to pick up the slack for an injured Marcus Lattimore.
13. Tennessee’s players are trying to block out the distractions with Troy coming to town.
14. Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson has put his money where his mouth is and had unprecedented success for the Tigers.
15. Jon Gruden — the same Jon Gruden that Arkansas and Tennessee fans are drooling over — is being used in a new Alabama recruiting flier after saying the NFL’s 49ers “remind me of how Alabama plays.”
16. Nobody plays defense like Bama and LSU.
17. For BCS purposes, LSU needs to beat Bama and get some help from Southern Cal this weekend.
18. BCS officials say Notre Dame is an attractive option for their bowls.
19. Ex-LSU star Tyrann Mathieu is out of Baton Rouge “to get away from the madness” and isn’t likely to return to the school following his recent arrest.
20. Georgia linebacker Jordan Jenkins is rising up the draft lists. (Just me or does it seem that UGA loses about 10 underclassmen to the NFL each year?)
21. Will Yeguete shined in Florida’s exhibition hoops win over Nebraska-Kearney last night.
22. Kentucky was up and down in a blowout exhibition win over Northwood. (Is that a Lexington high school?)