Oh yeah. one other thing. I'm not a volunteer fan by any means but they are getting the shaft on the additional penalties.
We’re on a tight schedule today so prepare for a quickie edition of headlines…
2. Alabama is paying big bucks for a sparring session with Western Carolina.
3. Running back Knile Davis will be back from a hamstring injury tomorrow versus Mississippi State.
4. LSU will host some road-tested Rebels tomorrow at Tiger Stadium.
5. Hugh Freeze says his young Ole Miss team has handled road environments pretty well this year.
6. Trends, history and streaks will collide when Mississippi State hosts Arkansas.
7. So much for Texas A&M not launching a Johnny Manziel Heisman campaign. Here’s his promo page.
8. Ah, but who is “Johnny Football,” the man behind the legend?
9. Florida D-coordinator Dan Quinn is enjoying his time in Gainesville (and leading a heckuva defense).
10. Georgia’s “Gurshall” rushing attack is a “force to be reckoned with.”
11. This writer says if Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart swings for the fences with Bill Cowher, he’ll only leave fans disappointed.
12. With a South Carolina win tomorrow, Steve Spurrier can join Bear Bryant as the only coaches in history to be the all-time wins leaders to two different SEC schools.
13. Tennessee’s NCAA probation will be extended and additional recruiting penalties tacked on due to as assistant coach’s funny business during the Lane Kiffin era. (Question: If Derek Dooley has a clause in his contract regarding NCAA probation from the Kiffin years, might this make his buyout bigger… and help him survive?)
14. Dooley and crew are continuing to do their jobs despite what appears to be impending doom.
15. Whit Taylor — who quarterbacked Vanderbilt to an 8-4 record in 1982 — sees a new day dawning for the Commodore program.
16. Missouri receiver Dorial Green-Beckham settled an early-season weed charge by pleading guilty to a reduced charge of trespassing. (Yeah, tres-passing a joint around with his buddies. Rimshot!)
SEC SUSPENSION BEAT
17. Arkansas linebacker Terrell Williams is “still working” to come back from his suspension over a DUI arrest.
18. LSU backup tight end Nic Jacobs will miss another game for a violation of team rules.
19. Missouri has suspended star defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson due to missed classes. (Kudos to the Tigers as Richardson’s selfishness could cost them a bowl bid.)
20. Tennessee has suspended freshman defensive back Deion Bonner.
21. How crazy are SEC football fans? An Auburn fan — we hope jokingly — has asked President Obama to send “military drones to the athletic department and blow the whole thing up.”
22. ESPN’s Mel Kiper really likes these 10 SEC underclassmen.
23. Four new coaches in the SEC next year?
24. Kansas State QB Collin Klein is still the favorite to win the Heisman (the single most overhyped award in the history of man).
25. Folks in Louisiana still fondly recall an improbable win over Ole Miss some 40 years ago.
26. This writer says it’s unlikely that Jon Gruden will become UT’s next head coach.
27. Someone alert us when Kentucky doesn’t have the nation’s top hoops signing class. That will be news.
28. One final bonus — No, no please. Not Twinkies!
UPDATE — Tennessee fell 62-45 to Oklahoma State in Puerto Rico this morning.