1. Matt Hayes on the new Florida football: “It’s man on man, helmet on helmet, best man wins.”
2. Andy Staples: “ Florida has needed a win like this since Tim Tebow graduated.”
3. Will Muschamp: “That was typical 1980 SEC right there today.”
4. Mike Bianchi on Florida (Saturday): “Brace yourself, Florida fans, because it’s not gonna be pretty.”
5. Mike Bianchi on Florida (Sunday): “Make room for the undefeated Florida Gators – the newest member of the Southeastern Conference’s fraternal order of heavyweight contenders.”
6. Glenn Gilbeau on LSU: “This is a sloppy, uninspired, average football team.”
7. What was Hugh Freeze thinking when going for it on fourth down from his own 39 late in the game?
8. Mike Herndon: “This one is going to take a long time for Hugh Freeze to live down.”
9. Gene Wojciechowski on South Carolina: “This isn’t the old Spurrier. This isn’t the old Spurrier offense.”
10. Mark Bradley: “South Carolina was bigger, faster, stronger, tougher and yes, better-coached.”
11. Connor Shaw now 13-1 as a starting quarterback for the Gamecocks.
12. A sneak peek ahead at next week’s marquee matchup: South Carolina travels to LSU.
13. What’s at stake next week for Tennessee at Mississippi State? Either a win against a ranked opponent for the first time since 2008 or an 0-3 start to the SEC season with Alabama and South Carolina looming.
14. What about Derek Dooley’s job status? “By Halloween, we will have a better idea about how things stand.”
15. 22 freshmen have seen action this season for Kentucky.
16. “Is the promise of a better tomorrow enough to retain Joker Phillips?”
17. Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari awards two walk-ons scholarships for the upcoming season.