1. Hurricane Sandy could have an impact on the Georgia-Florida game – winds in excess of 20 MPH forecast for Saturday night.
2. Georgia defensive end Abry Jones has surgery to repair a torn ankle ligament. High school coach mentions six-to-eight weeks recovery time. Mark Richt says “He won’t play this week is all that I can confirm.” Linebacker Jarvis Jones expected to play Saturday.
3. Florida offensive coordinator Brent Pease: “I’m not worried about yards. We’re not going to win any statistical awards this year.”
4. “The Georgia-Florida game is about the territory south of Atlanta and north of Orlando.”
5. When it comes to the Tennessee defense, there are limits to simplicity. Derek Dooley: ”You can’t just sit there and play one front and one coverage the whole game when you play good teams.”
6. South Carolina’s impressive defensive line will face an equally impressive Tennessee offensive line -Vols have allowed only three sacks all season, tied for second-lowest in the country.
7. Gamecocks returning to offensive line used the three weeks prior to Florida loss.
8. Kentucky quarterback Patrick Towles “took a lot of reps” Wednesday - UK will attempt to play three quarterbacks against Missouri.
9. Kentucky football and the curse of Bear Bryant.
10. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel on quarterback James Franklin: “We don’t anticipate him playing,” against Kentucky, but “almost certain” that Franklin will return for Florida game.
11. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin wants a sellout for UMass but the school “still has plenty of tickets to sell.”
12. Does Vanderbilt have a chance to win six straight?
13. Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell could have gone to Alabama but he’s not looking back: “I came to Mississippi State, and we’re 7-0, and this is the reason why I came to State.”
14. What’s an interception or fumble worth? Nick Saban says 3.7 points.
15. Arkansas defensive coordinator Paul Haynes says the Ole Miss hurry-up offense is faster paced than Texas A&M: “When they go fast, they really go fast.”
16. Hugh Freeze on Ole Miss defensive coordinator – and former Arkansas coordinator – Dave Wommack: “He is really valuable to me because I am so enamored and involved in the offensive side of it…”
17. Big reason for improved running game for the Rebels – running back Jeff Scott.
18. Texas A&M Damontre Moore leads the country with 9.5 sacks and 17 tackles for a loss.
19. Game-opening drives against the Auburn defense this year: three touchdowns, two missed field goals, one goal-line fumble and just one punt.
20. Auburn quarterback Kiehl Frazier making progress from an injury - decision on starting quarterback against Texas A&M could come soon.
21. Where will Les Miles be on Saturday night? His sofa.
23. 14 teams left in the national championship discussion.
24. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby on the league’s 9-game conference schedule: “Each league has to go through their own process and decide. And we’ve decided that the nine-game schedule is the best for us.”
25. Columbus, Ohio radio broadcaster fired after tweeting he wished Desmond Howard get fired or die.
26. SEC Basketball Media Day is underway.
27. Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon, recovering from knee surgery, will likely miss the beginning of the season – “had a minor setback.”
28. Bad news for Kentucky opponents – better depth this year: “This will not be a six-man team.”
29. Arkansas forward Alandise Harris denied eligibility waiver – the transfer from Houston will have two years of eligibility starting in 2013-2014.