Have to be quick with the headlines today, folks. Apologies.
1. At 1-6, Auburn is getting younger and younger in the starting lineup.
2. Gene Chizik’s ex-assistants — once thought to be part of the problem — are doing alright elsewhere.
3. Understatement: In the history of Alabama-Tennessee rivalry, last Saturday’s game won’t do down as one of the best.
4. Arkansas hopes a strong finish can lead to a “good bowl.”
5. The LSU Tigers have time off to fix what’s been ailing them.
6. Dan Mullen says his Mississippi State players are right where they wanted to be: undefeated and facing Alabama.
7. Ole Miss is focused on Arkansas, recruiting right now.
8. Texas A&M’s loss to Top 10 LSU was “discouraging.”
9. Will Muschamp knows the Florida-Georgia rivalry from both sides… and that a win on Saturday would clinch the East Division title. (And perhaps SEC Coach of the Year honors.)
10. Will Georgia’s Jarvis and Abry Jones be ready to go against the Gators?
11. Joker Phillips says if Kentucky freshman quarterback Patrick Towles can practice, he’ll play Saturday against Missouri.
12. This writer gives South Carolina’s quarterbacks an “F” grade for their Florida performance.
13. Derek Dooley on Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray turning the ball over: “If he’s loose with the football, he’s coming out of the game.”
14. Vanderbilt’s defense preserved last Saturday’s win over Auburn with late-game stands.
15. The attention is shifting to basketball season in the Show-Me-State.
16. Mizzou football updated depth chart lists QB James Franklin as doubtful.
17. The SEC has named its Players of the Week.
18. Alabama and Florida are still 1-2 in the new BCS rankings.
UPDATE — Mike Slive says networks aren’t insisting on nine-game conference schedule — we hadn’t heard that they were being insistent — but he also says the league will “keep an open mind” about such a set-up.