1. LSU offensive tackle Alex Hurst has returned home to Bartlett, Tennessee, hasn’t practiced since early last week. May not be back. “It’s a family thing,” said senior left tackle Josh Dworaczyk.
2. An education in the Alabama – Tennessee rivalry. Alabama linebacker Trey DePriest: ”A lot of the older fans take this game real seriously. It’s bigger than Alabama-Auburn to them.”
3. What will happen to assistant coaches’ salaries when Arkansas makes a a change? AD Jeff Long: “We’re not at the top, we’re certainly not at the bottom.”
4. Long spoke Monday in public – what was the fan reaction? “He gave answers fitting for Barack Obama or Mitt Romney, but not as an athletic director of the flagship university…”
5. Starting quarterback at Auburn still undecided for this weekend – Kiehl Frazier has a nagging injury that affects his passing.
6. Mississippi State wide receiver Chad Bumphis doesn’t like talking to the media -prefers to let his on-field performance speak for him. Stat breakdown of MSU’s offense and defense.
7. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin on Johnny Manziel’s Heisman hype: “It’s just something you let play out.”
8. South Carolina linebacker Shaq Wilson on the Florida game: “It’s going to be a physical, smash-mouth game and I like that.”
9. What’s at stake for Steve Spurrier in his return to the Swamp.
10. Mike Bianchi: “If Muschamp wants to be the head ball coach, he must beat The Head Ball Coach.”
11, Pat Dooley: “If Florida wins its next two games (I know, Will, one at a time) the Gators will clinch the SEC East title, before Halloween.”
12. David Pollack called Georgia lineman John Theus a “liability” on ESPN. What does the freshman think? “His opinion is his opinion. It doesn’t bother me at all.”
13. With Jarvis Jones questionable for Saturday, Georgia freshman linebacker Jordan Jenkins could get more playing time: “I’m starting to get the feeling, just seeing him not practicing today, that I may start Saturday.”
14. Georgia’s defense has only 10 sacks so far this season – ended last year with 35.
16. Ron Higgins on Vols quarterback Tyler Bray - ”who still reacts with thin skin and who has a head coach who basically dismisses it.”
17. A father and coach on one sideline, a son and player on the other; Tennessee defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri and Alabama safety Vinnie Sunseri: ”It’s gonna be hard on Saturday night when that kid walks on the field, when he hugs me.”
18, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin and his message to recruits: “(G)et a great education, have a chance to play early, be a part of history turning this program around.”
19. Missouri officials are considering speeding up part of the expansion of Memorial Stadium.
20. Kentucky offensive coordinator Randy Sanders on freshman quarterback Jalen Whitlow: ”We’re trying to figure out what he does well.”
21. The four winless teams in conference play account for five of the six lowest six passer efficiency ratings (both Missouri quarterbacks are counted).
21. A battle over class-action status in a NCAA lawsuit involving college athletes’ names and likenesses.
22. Kentucky (3), Florida (10), Missouri (17) ranked in the USA Today coaches poll.
23. Arkansas’ schedule includes seven games against teams in the preseason top 25.
24. The triangle that rules college hoops.
25. ESPN’s All-Access Kentucky: “I want to know what’s in that salad.”
26. Bruce Pearl on John Calipari: “He’s much tougher to coach against now than he was when he first started coaching at Memphis.”
27. Florida center Demontre Harris – who transferred from South Carolina - suffered a dislocated shoulder and torn labrum in practice and is considering surgery that would sideline him until March.
28. Andy Kennedy on the depth on his Ole Miss team: “If you asked my staff and me to rank the top seven players you’d probably get four different answers,” Kennedy said. “That speaks to the competition we’re seeing.”