1. Here’s a list of the SEC’s Top 75 players from Athlon Sports.
2. CollegeFootballTalk.com picks Georgia and Alabama to meet in Atlanta.
3. Freshman offensive lineman Brandon Hill didn’t meet academic eligibility requirements at Alabama. (Maybe he should have gone to Foley High.)
4. The receiver competition is wide-open in Tuscaloosa.
5. One scrimmage is in the books, but Auburn’s quarterback battle rolls on.
6. Brian VanGorder’s new defense gave up some big plays in said scrimmage.
7. Arkansas has hired former Washington defensive coordinator Nick Holt to an administrative position in the Hogs’ football program.
8. Based on ticket sales, “Arkansas fan base continues to prove that maybe it’s an SEC program in name only.” (I can only imagine the hate emails that writer’s getting today.)
9. LSU quarterback signee Jeremy Liggins has reportedly left the junior college at which he enrolled after failing to qualify in Baton Rouge. (Maybe he should have gone to Foley High, too.)
10. Tiger quarterbacks coach Steve Kragthorpe is entering Year Two of his fight with Parkinson’s disease.
11. Don’t be surprised to see freshman on the field for Mississippi State this year. (Haven’t we hit the age where everybody plays a lot of freshmen every year?)
12. Here are five spots that must improve for the Bulldogs in 2012.
13. Ole Miss needs its juco transfers to come through this fall.
14. The big story at Texas A&M continues to be the quarterback competition.
15. A starting QB hasn’t been named at Florida either, but there are already questions whether the loser of that battle will transfer.
16. Receiver Marlon Brown is having a good preseason at Georgia.
17. Hutson Mason is still way ahead of Christian LeMay to back up the Dawgs’ Aaron Murray.
18. Kentucky hoops signee Nerlens Noel has now officially stated that he’s been cleared academically by the NCAA. (Maybe he spent some time at Foley High.)
19. UK defensive coordinator Rick Minter says his third-stringers “are all still green and eating Gerber.”
20. Defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles is ready to make an impact for South Carolina.
21. Steve Spurrier doesn’t sound too torn up about backup quarterback Tanner McEvoy’s departure from Columbia.
22. Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney says his squad is benefiting from experience.
23. The Vol basketball team — currently in Italy — has finalized its nonconference schedule for 2012-13.
24. Coach James Franklin says he’ll have to decide whether Vanderbilt should be “greedy” when it comes to the NCAA’s new kickoff rules.
25. Missouri quarterback James Franklin rested his shoulder yesterday, but just as a precaution.
26. Frank Haith is close to hiring assistant coach Rick Carter from Western Michigan (to replace Ryan Miller who left for Auburn last month).
OUNCE OF PREVENTION — The Foley High references are not a knock at the University of Alabama or the high school itself. With so much focus on the school yesterday, I simply felt it would be fun to drop the school’s name in whenever possible today. The fact that I need to put a disclaimer on a harmless joke is frustrating, but I figured it would prevent some folks from punching their computer screens in anger over “attacks” on Bama/FHS.