1. LSU running back Michael Ford could miss a game or the entire season due to academic issues.
3. Redshirt freshman quarterback Dak Prescott will see playing time Saturday for Mississippi State. Coach Dan Mullen also sees big things for starting quarterback Tyler Russell. ”He’s ready to have a great year.”
4. Alabama’s defense only allowed one team’s quarterback to rush for more than 40 yards a year ago - but Michigan’s Denard Robinson presents unique challenges.
5. Nick Saban on the 2012 Crimson Tide: “I can tell you . . . if this team is not successful, it’s not because of the character and attitude of the team.”
7. Former Razorback quarterback Brandon Mitchell will start at wide receiver.
9. A decision on the starting quarterback at Ole Miss could come Wednesday.
11. With Reese Dismukes indefinitely suspended, Tunde Fariyike becomes the center of attention.
SEC East Football
12. Once the season starts, the ever-quotable Steve Spurrier changes. ”During the regular season, I try not to be very funny about anything.”
13. Spurrier won’t limit Marcus Lattimore’s carries: “Marcus could carry 30 or 40 (times) I think if we needed to.”
14. Spurrier on quarterback Connor Shaw: “ He does what you would like quarterbacks to do on the field, off the field and so forth.”
15. Having spent time coaching football at Duke, Spurrier admires what James Franklin has done. “They have done a super job (at Vanderbilt).”
16. What has new offensive coordinator Brent Pease meant to the Florida Gators? Quarterback Jeff Driskol: ”Coach [Charlie] Weis was kind of an old-school guy and [Pease] he’s brought in new energy and new life.”
17. What does this year mean for Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray? “He could solidify himself as one of the game’s top quarterbacks and a bona fide pro prospect.”
18. Vols tight end Mychal Rivera - an indispensable player?
19. John Adams on Derek Dooley: “I wouldn’t be shocked if Dooley were named SEC coach of the year at the end of the season.”
21. “Georgia is remaining tight-lipped about possible suspensions for safety Bacarri Rambo and inside linebacker Alec Ogletree.”
22. Finally official but not a surprise – running back Henry Josey, recovering from a knee injury, won’t play at Mizzou this year. New depth chart for the Tigers – offensive lineman Jack Meiners out at least a few weeks.
23. Kentucky coach Joker Phillips: “We’re as healthy as we’ve ever been.”
24. The players you’ll hear likely hear the most about this year for Kentucky.
25. SEC championship game prediction: Georgia 28- LSU 26.
26. Ron Higgins on those anyone but the SEC picks: “The SEC is becoming so hated, it seems, that most of this year’s preseason predictions to pick a national title game matchup are touting USC vs. Florida State or Oklahoma.”
27. SI’s Stewart Mandel predicts LSU-Oregon in the championship game.
28. What to make of four SEC “stars” being booted from their teams? Pat Dooley: ”I believe this is another indication of the entitlement issues we are seeing more and more in college football.”
29. Former Auburn running back Michael Dyer is now at Arkansas Baptist – as a student, not a football player.
30. A big reason for the shuffle in college sports? The Longhorn Network.
31. The Little League team that won the U.S. title will be honored at Thursday night’s South Carolina -Vanderbilt game.
32. Football Writers Association Poll – Five of the top 11 are in the SEC.
33. Georgia coach Mark Fox says his team’s European trip was a valuable experience: “Our freshman, they realized how hard and how fast you have to play.”