SEC West Football
1. Auburn starting center Reese Dismukes suspended after getting arrested for public intoxication. Started all 13 games as a freshman.
2. The search for alternatives begins.
3. Kevin Scarbinsky: “What kind of football program is Gene Chizik running?”
4. Could Mississippi State be looking at a 7-0 start?
5. LSU coach Les Miles on his 2012 Tigers: ”In many ways, this team has the potential to be better than last year’s team.” With more home games, schedule looks easier this year.
6. Scott Rabalais: ”Miles runs toward expectations and gives them a bear hug.”
7. Arkansas running back Knile Davis – “still got it.”
8. Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze wants a 65% completion rate from his quarterbacks.
9. A key for the Rebels – an offensive line that can play at a different pace.
10. Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron likes his receiving corps: “All the guys can run. All the guys can make plays.”
11. A stump speech for the Crimson Tide: “The Democrats have Barack Obama. The Republicans have Mitt Romney. We have Nick Saban. And Barrett Jones.”
12. If former Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum had his way, the Aggies would have been in the SEC a long time ago.
SEC East Football
13. Failing to manage “at-risk” football players gets a Tennessee employee dismissed.
14. Just how hot is Derek Dooley’s seat at Tennessee? Reasons for optimism.
15. Similar questions at Kentucky for Joker Phillips. “Must-win” game to open the season.
16. Vanderbilt-South Carolina and ESPN Thursday night. Vandy linebacker Archibald Barnes: “It’s going to be awesome.”
17. Expectations at South Carolina? “This will be the best of Spurrier’s teams at USC.”
18. How Georgia can get to 11-1 and win the SEC East.
19. What does Georgia coach Mark Richt think of his players talking about a national title? “The reality is we haven’t done anything yet. I think they know that. I don’t have a problem with guys dreaming big.”
20. Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham to USC’s Monte Kiffin: “Hey, thanks for Jarvis.”
21. Highly touted freshman wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham is generating a buzz at Mizzou, but injuries and inexperience along the offensive line draw concern- three possible first-time starters against Georgia.
22. A defensive tackle/linebacker combo for Mizzou? Tigers think Sheldon Richardson has that kind of talent.
23. Florida running back Mike Gillislee’s goal? 1,500 yards and 24 touchdowns.
24. Can Florida’s Andre Debose - the “next Percy Harvin” - live up to the billing?
25. The NCAA “super-welterweight” division and a push for a 9-game SEC schedule, Nick Saban takes up the cause again: ”I think every player that comes through in the SEC ought to have the opportunity to play against every other school in the SEC – east or west,”
26. SEC special teams ranked – from the best (Alabama) to the worst (Ole Miss).
27. Former Georgia running back Isiah Crowell settles in at Alabama State.
28. The Tennessee-North Carolina State game on a Friday night impacts high school football.
29. How quickly can Urban Meyer dot the “i” in Ohio State?
30. The offseason is over. It all starts Thursday night – ready for some football? Maybe this 53-link preview will do the trick.
31. NCAA and University of Kentucky officials travel to Rhode Island in search of answers in the Nerlens Noel investigation.
32. Former Memphis guard Charles Carmouche transfers to LSU – eligible immediately.
33. Nine different Mizzou players saw a decent chunk of playing time on their European road trip.