1. Memphis high schools and the NCAA: “Memphis is on their radar.”
2. Transfers, fraudulent transcripts and player dismissals: “We’re barely two weeks away from opening weekend, and already I’m sick and tired of college football.”
3. Gene Wojciechowski: “South Carolina at Vandy? Never been happier to see the Head Ball Coach throw his visor.”
4. Dennis Dodd: “Thirty-four of the 124 FBS head coaches once were full-time SEC assistants. That’s more than a quarter — 27 percent — of major-college coaches having been taught in the Strength Everywhere Conference.”
SEC West Football
5. Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu to announce his transfer decision on Wednesday? Return to LSU “wouldn’t be happening.”
6. LSU’s NCAA compliance officer: ”He’s permanently ineligible to play football at LSU.”
7. Not so fast. LSU associate AD Herb Vincent: “To clarify: Tyrann Mathieu has the option to go to LSU as a student. #LSU is not speculating on his football future.”
8. Texas A&M’s Ryan Swope may be the go-to guy, but the Aggies believe they have other talent at the wide receiver position.
9. Mississippi State’s Cam Lawrence on fellow linebacker Deontae Skinner: “He’s a freak, in a good way, for sure,”
10. Arkansas offensive coordinator Paul Petrino says his side of the ball did better than advertised in Saturday’s scrimmage.
11. Between Fayetteville and Little Rock, more than 88,000 season ticket package sales for Arkansas.
12. Lot of question marks at wide receiver for Auburn.
13. Auburn freshman cornerback Joshua Holsey: “Our class is going to be the class that change everything around.”
14. Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace expects both he and Barry Brunetti to see playing time to start the year: “I think that’s what’s going to happen.”
15. Injuries starting to pile up for the Rebels. Hugh Freeze: “It keeps me up at night.”
16. What was the intensity like at Alabama’s first preseason scrimmage? “Everybody was game mode.”
Update: The Nick Saban process could be coming to a school near you.
SEC East Football
17. If Georgia freshman John Theus starts at right tackle in the season opener, he’ll be one of only three true freshmen to do so at Georgia since 1973.
19. Florida coach Will Muschamp thinks his offensive line is much improved this year.
20. Derek Dooley liked the way his Tennessee team played in Saturday’s scrimmage.
21. Whether you call him “Shade Tree” or “Green Mile”, Tennessee lineman Daniel McCullers is a big man.
22. Heralded Mizzou freshman wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham is playing better; Gary Pinkel: “I thought he really upped it a bit.”
23. The light never came on for wide receiver DeMarco Robinson at Kentucky last year, but that’s all changing.
24. After watching tape of Saturday’s scrimmage, Vanderbilt defensive coordinator Bob Shoop was not pleased.
25. Redshirt South Carolina freshman cornerback Ahmad Christian will have a role in the Gamecocks secondary this fall.
26. John Calipari as replacement for Mike Kryzewski as head coach of the Olympic basketball team? “Calipari is such a polarizing figure in basketball circles, would USA Basketball want the controversy that could come with picking him?”
27. Former Razorback Ronnie Brewer on current Arkansas guard B.J. Young: “He’s a phenomenal player,”
28. Florida fans should enjoy incoming freshman Chris Walker. He may only be there one year.
29. Last game in Italy for Tennessee. Tennessee freshman Derek Reese has a torn labrum in his right shoulder.
30. Mizzou guard Michael Dixon scores 31 points as the Tigers win in Belgium.