Our fans are ready for this season to start and they will "bring it." More importantly, it looks like the players are ready, too, as long as we can get out of practice w/o any more season ending injuries to the offensive line! Defensively, get ready to meet Big Sheldon Richardson and Kony Ealy...each run about a 4.6 40 as a DT and DE/LB respectively and both lived in the backfield at this Saturday scrimmage. Nothing you probably haven't seen before (think Aldon Smith for Ealy) in the SEC, but those wondering about the our defenses size/speed... Lastly, looks like James Franklin is more than ready and his shoulder surgery also repaired a previously undisclosed problem he played through last year...now go back and look at those stats from 2011. Reports say he has much more zip on the ball and his accuracy (after knocking off the rust) improves with each rep. Can't wait for Sept 8th, see all you Dawgs making the trip to the ZOU then!
2. David Steele: “The small schools welcome you with open arms, and apparently blocked consciences.”
3. “He could return punts, return kickoffs, the length of a field. But he could not handle a drug going by such nicknames as K2, Spice Gold, Mr. Smiley, Moon Rocks, Black Mamba, Red X Dawn.”
4. Tigers scrimmage Saturday and turn the page. QB Zach Mettenberger: “We’ve got to handle this adversity. It’s like having your brother kicked off the team. It’s tough to go through. I’ve been there.”
5. Mettenberger throws two touchdowns in scrimmage.
6. The fate of Auburn running back Jovon Robinson and his fraudulent transcript – still a lot we don’t know.
7. Plenty of talent but a few questions still to answer for the top quarterbacks in the SEC.
8. From No. 1 Alabama to No. 14 Ole Miss - ranking the SEC offensive lines.
9. Senior linebacker and projected starter Tristan Strong has left the Vanderbilt team for personal reasons.
10. Jadeveon Clowney and Devin Taylor may be the best pass-rushing duo in the SEC.
11. A Cotton Bowl prediction for the Gamecocks.
12. Steve Spurrier is impressed with tight end Jerrell Adams: He “looks like one of those all-pro NFL tight ends right now.”
13. Team lines up to make noise around the kicker to simulate game conditions with a scholarship on the line. Spurrier: “I’ll have to admit, I learned that one from Urban.”
14. Spurrier will be rooting for Tennesse this year – at least some of the time: ”Hopefully, they will beat Georgia and a whole bunch of people. Not us, but a bunch.”
15. Fans kept at a distance – security tight around Tennessee scrimmage. “Saturday was a great day for knocking off a liquor store in these parts.”
16. Mike Gillislee is firmly entrenched at the starting running back spot for Florida. Coach Will Muschamp: ”At this point right now, Mike Gillislee has kind of distanced himself.”
17. Expect the secondary to be a source of strength for the Gators this fall.
18. Joker Phillips isn’t the first Kentucky football coach to enter the season on a hot seat.
19. Phillips will be coaching the youngest team of his career.
21. What does Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze think of quarterbacks Barry Brunetti and Bo Wallace? “We are a long way from where we need to be at that position.”
22. Two QBs combine to throw four interceptions.
23. Quarterback AJ McCarron and running back Eddie Lacy play well in Alabama’s first scrimmage.
24. McCarron and center Barrett Jones have plenty of fans on Twitter.
25. With a recent departure and an injury, young players will get a chance to play a role in the Crimson Tide’s secondary.
27. Georgia has found a fullback. Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo: “Merritt Hall’s the best fullback right now.”
28. The Bulldogs top three cornerbacks are all injured but all practiced Saturday.
29. Heralded recruit John Theus will play this year, but Georgia coaches haven’t named him a starter yet.
30. Mizzou defensive end Kony Ealy on the team’s first full-contact scrimmage: ”I guess everybody is trying to step it up an extra notch because there’s a lot of talk about the SEC.”
31. An apparently healthy and efficient James Franklin: “I don’t feel (any discomfort) right now.”
32. Are the Tigers and their fans ready for the culture of the SEC?
33. The two-a-day grind at Mississippi State. Coach Dan Mullen: ”They’re about to hit that wall.”
34. Bulldogs defensive tackle Josh Boyd on fellow defensive lineman Shane McCardell: ”Shane McCardell is probably one of the most talented players I’ve ever been around.”
35. Xavier Grindle decides to stay in Starkville.
36. Auburn quarterbacks workout in Saturday’s scrimmage but no change in status. Coach Gene Chizik: “I still don’t feel like there’s much separation.”
37. Jermaine Whitehead and Ryan Smith have emerged as possible starting safeties for Auburn. On the offensive line, three true freshmen are battling for playing time.
38. Whether they’re in Italy or Tennessee, Cuonzo Martin wants his Volunteers to act the same way: “Those are daily conversations. It’s not, ‘OK, we’re on a trip, let’s act a certain way.’ It’s too late if you’re doing that.”
39. Fearing for his players’ safety – Mizzou coach Frank Haith pulls his team off the court, forfeits exhibition game.
40. Mizzou’s new basketball players are getting a chance to shine on the team’s European tour.