The 2012 football season kicks off in just two weeks. But it’s also just 25 weeks until National Signing Day. For that reason, it’s time to check the ol’ Big Board again and see who’s doing what in terms of Class of 2013 commitments.
As usual, we use the star rankings provided by Rivals.com. For each star they hand out, we award one point. But for the prospects they’ve yet to grade — the dreaded 0-star recruits — we also give out a point. Hey, we’re nice guys.
We then look at the numbers in two different ways. First, we look at the total talent being brought into a program. That’s the top chart. Just straight total points.
Then, in the second chart, we rank the teams in terms of their average points-per-commitment. This gives you an idea of what type of athletes — generally — are giving handshake agreements to the SEC’s 14 schools.
First, a look at quantity:
|School||Commits||5-stars||4-stars||3-stars||2-stars||1- & 0-stars||Total Points|
Now, a look at quality:
Finally, as an added bonus, let’s just look at the high-end prospects who’ve committed so far. Below is the total number of combined 4- and 5-star prospects that each school has gotten a wink and a nod from:
|School||4- & 5-star Commits|
|Florida||11 (one 5-star)|
|Auburn||6 (three 5-stars)|
* Kevin Sumlin and Texas A&M are to be taken seriously by their new SEC brethren. Lone Star State talent makes A&M an untapped gold mine.
* James Franklin continues to keep Vanderbilt near the middle of the SEC pack in terms of quality and quantity. Considering VU’s history, that’s A+ work.
* After a hot start, Missouri’s recruiting has cooled. Now, does that mean Gary Pinkel and crew just don’t like grabbing early commits and then having to sit watch over them? Or does it mean Mizzou’s gonna have a lot of work to do in Florida and Georgia. As of today, the Tigers’ commitments come from Missouri, Texas, Iowa and Kansas.
* Arkansas was doomed to suffer a tough recruiting year as John L. Smith and crew try to sell a captain-less ship. Still, if the Hogs take this time and find the right coach, that will make up for a one-season dip in recruiting.
* In posting these lists, I feel as if I’ve handed out more pitchforks and torches to people in the Bluegrass State.