1. A tale of two former SEC running backs. Isaiah Crowell will play. Mike Dyer will sit. ”There are no better parallel examples of the absolute absurdity of the NCAA system than (Gus) Malzahn and Dyer.”
2. An admission hurdle apparently cleared at Florida for one recruit.
3. The off-season buzz around the Arkansas football program: “It’s hard to find a team that went through a more disastrous off-season than the Razorbacks.”
4. One piece of good news for the Razorbacks? The return of Knile Davis.
5. Top play of the 2011 season? May have been that Joe Adams’ punt return against Tennessee.
6. Mississippi State tight end Marcus Green gets a sixth year of eligibility.
7. The pressure facing Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen: “Like it or not, there’s a monkey on Mullen’s back and it will remain there until he pulls off a win against one of the other five opponents in the division.”
8. The Orlando Sentinel says Mullen’s team is the 38th best in the country.
9. Toughest schedule this fall in the SEC? It could belong to Ole Miss.
11. What the arrival of Cordarrelle Patterson means at Tennessee. ”That’s a lot of potential – and potential disaster.”
12. “A mere 54 days until the college football season gets under way…”
13. And when it does, Auburn vs. Clemson should be one of the better games.
14. From the regular season to the bowl games – the Gator Bowl will kick off coverage on New Year’s day.
15. The key to football success at Kentucky? How the Wildcats fare against the “Benchmark Four.”
16. A response to editorial page flak for stadium expansion at the University of Missouri: “The logic, as I understand it, is that a crappy football team would make us all feel better about high tuition and low faculty salaries.”
17. Missouri may be in the SEC now but their battles with Kansas continue - this time over license plates.
18. Former Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl now does marketing work for a wholesale grocer. ”I’m proud to be the former coach at the University of Tennessee.”
19. The chief operating officer of the South Carolina athletic department is following Eric Hyman to Texas A&M.
20. SEC Barbie dolls.
21. Ten playmakers to watch this year in college football.
22. Injuries have the U.S. Men’s Olympic team running behind.
23. “There’s something about marrying Erin Andrews with Fox Sports that’s got all the markings of a reality series heading for an unhappy ending. The beauty of it is everyone will want to watch it.”