1. This writer says college football needs a little gun control.
2. The SEC is getting dragged into a lawsuit between former athletes and the NCAA over video game licensing rights.
3. The ACC has cut a 12-year deal with the Orange Bowl…
4. Good luck keeping up with the new screwy bowl situation… including the “Champions” Bowl… if it doesn’t merge with an existing game.)
5. Having a media member inside the playoff selection committee’s meeting would answer a lot of questions about transparency. Capital idea.
6. What’s the best athletic conference – the Pac-12 or the SEC?
7. Mississippi State is still waiting on the NCAA clearing house on a couple of 2012 signees. (Just like I’m still waiting for the Publishers Clearing House to make me a millionaire.)
8. MSU had first-round picks in the NFL, NBA and MLB drafts… but does that mean the school’s program is catching up with the SEC big boys?
9. Most Rebel fans seem to like the game day experience at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
10. Texas A&M’s SEC dream has been realized…
11. And Kevin Sumlin is ready to compete with the best.
12. Missouri is excited to be exiting the Big 12 and entering the SEC.
13. One Florida signee was denied admission yesterday, but another got the go-ahead from the school’s front office.
14. Booted Georgia tailback Isaiah Crowell could get five years in jail over gun charges, but probation is much more likely.
15. You remember Oprah’s book club? Well say hello to the “Coach Cal Book Club.”
16. Just to reiterate… South Carolina president Harris Pastides says he has no timetable for replacing AD Eric Hyman who left for Texas A&M.
17. Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray is the SEC’s 14th best player according to this paper.
18. Tracy Webster has been promoted to associate head basketball coach in Knoxville.
19. Finally, eight SEC players have earned preseason All-America honors. (Anyone else think handing out “honors” based on what someone thinks will happen is ridiculous?)