(We’ll go with Elvis as our headline photo of the day. I was in Tupelo last week and I can tell you that the King’s first home was about as big as the average American living room. Tiny.)
1. Practice starts all across the 14-team SEC this week.
2. Ex-NFL (and CFL) great Warren Moon talks about his old teammate Brent Pease, Florida’s new offensive coordinator.
4. Knowing it can’t actually happen, John Calipari has tossed out another “scheduling gimmick” — Indiana, North Carolina, Kansas, Louisville and Kentucky play two home and two road games against other teams in the group every year. (Sure seems like a safe way to make it look like he’s not ducking home-and-home series… which was part of his last non-traditional “scheduling gimmick.”)
5. In case you missed it, South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier has found a new kid to pick on in Ole Miss’ Hugh Freeze.
6. This writer says Tennessee can’t afford Tyler Bray’s off-field antics.
7. Here’s a quickie breakdown of Vanderbilt’s schedule.
8. The big question at Missouri? How healthy is quarterback James Franklin?
9. Michigan and the Big Ten will have a big opportunity to steal some spotlight and some respect from Alabama and the SEC five weeks from now.
10. Auburn still needs to pick a quarterback at some point.
11. Well that didn’t take long. Ex-Auburn tailback Mike Dyer has already been booted from Arkansas State by Gus Malzahn.
12. The Bobby Petrino scandal takes on new light following the mess at Penn State. (And don’t forget, AD Jeff Long helped speed up the hiring of the coach’s mistress by getting UA’s HR department to fast-track things past affirmative action standards.)
13. This scribe says the hype around new LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger is already out of control.
14. Receiver Donte Moncrief gives Ole Miss some hope in 2012.
15. MSU defensive back Johnthan Banks is making a bizarrely-spelled name for himself.
16. Kevin Sumlin may have moved from Houston to Texas A&M, but he still intends to make Houston “home base” in terms of recruiting. (He also says he won’t oversign players.)
17. The ever-excellent Jon Solomon of The Birmingham News examines what a disappointment college football’s added 12th game has been.