I think Coach Pinkel had a brain freeze when answering the Penn State question. It was insensitive and in poor taste. And to say MAYBE Poturno would have done things differently in hindsight? Maybe? Not our best day.
1. Nick Saban – a man so powerful he can have the media blocked from entering a bathroom.
2. “Like John Calipari has done in college basketball, Saban has built a monster by shooting young athletes straight.”
3. Dennis Dodd on Saban: ”He’s our guy, college football’s oracle.”
4. Saban and Les Miles – the ham and cheese of the SEC.
5. Duron Carter has left the Alabama program without playing a down.
6. Tennessee coach Derek Dooley was “part-Elvis and part-Nixon” at his Media Days appearance.
7. Dooley: (Y)ou’re not going to have Tennessee to kick around anymore.”
8. “If there is a preverbal college football hot seat, Dooley’s butt has been squarely fixed upon it.”
9. Ron Higgins: “He doesn’t need to know about the hot seat, because he’s holding the plug in his hand.”
10. David Climer: “Too often over the past two seasons, Dooley has thrown players and/or assistant coaches under the bus. There always seemed to be an excuse.”
11. Tyler Bray buzz at media days.
12. The quarterback race at Ole Miss may extend into the fall.
13. So Hugh Freeze – how does the talent at Ole Miss compare to the talent you left behind at Arkansas State?
15. Freeze on the Egg Bowl: “I was born and raised in the state of Mississippi. I understand the way it divides families.”
16. Dan Mullen is raising expectations at Mississippi State.
17. Talent and the schedule make Georgia the favorite in the SEC East.
18. Too many recruiting risks for the Bulldogs?
19. Malcolm Mitchell – two-way player?“As the season rolls along, you’ll see more of a fix, closer to 50-50 offense and defense.”
20. Richt on the Georgia-Missouri game: ”It’s going to mean a whole lot to their season but it’s going to mean a whole lot to our season as well.”
21. Gary Pinkel’s road to Missouri was influenced by both Richt and Nick Saban.
22. Pinkel’s comments on Joe Paterno got him in some hot water with a state politician.
24. Jon Solomon: “The possibility of playing nine SEC games won’t disappear.”
25. Tony Barnhart: (S)everal developments appear to be pushing the SEC to a nine-game schedule soon rather than later.”
26. LSU and Alabama together have more total All-SEC selections than Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mizzou, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Tennessee – combined.
27. Tiger Stadium will be expanding.
28. Twenty gallons of coffee and 63,000 Golden Flake chips were consumed at SEC Media Days.