Here’s super speedy edition of headlines from around the Southeastern Conference today…
1. Here’s the list of the players who’ll be attending SEC Media Days in a few short weeks.
2. A playoff may slow Nick Saban, but it won’t stop him. (You can only hope to contain him.)
3. A pair of undrafted Tide hoopsters will have to take another route to the NBA.
4. LSU’s Justin Hamilton was drafted by the 76ers, but traded to the world champion Heat (ugh) as part of a deal for Mississippi State’s Arnett Moultrie.
5. Tiger defensive end Barkevious Mingo makes a Top 25 list of the SEC’s best players.
6. New Ole Miss AD is considering scheduling football games against some of Mississippi’s FCS-level historically black colleges. (Yep, that playoff is creating better nonconference schedules already.)
7. Here’s an interesting nugget: Only one school had first-round picks in this year’s NFL, MLB and NBA drafts… Mississippi State. (Yeah, but what about the NHL?)
8. Freshman Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel was arrested today for fighting and for having a fake ID. (Now that’s the normal kind of college arrest we’re used to seeing around here.)
9. Big 12 schools are basically giving the Aggies a one-finger salute as they exit their old league for their new one.
10. But A&M’s new rivals — that’d be most of you reading — can learn more about the Aggies here.
11. Uh-oh. Three highly-rated defensive line signees are having eligibility issues at Florida.
12. This writer says Isaiah Crowell has proved to Georgia that he’s more trouble than he’s worth. (We wrote earlier today that a source inside UGA’s administration told us today would be the tailback’s final mistake as a Bulldog.)
13. Kentucky gave opposing programs the ol’ 1-2 in last night’s NBA draft.
14. In three years, since John Calipari’s arrival, UK has produced more draft picks than the Big Ten combined, the Pac-12 combined, and the rest of the SEC combined. (They may not get to know ‘em, but Cat fans are certainly seeing some great players blow through town.)
15. Booted Tennessee tight end Cameron Clear was allegedly selling stolen items… some of which were supposedly lifted from other UT athletes.
16. Derek Dooley’s hot seat status is everywhere you turn. (That and seven new assistants will get you a lot of blank stares on the recruiting trail.)
18. Tiger fans are going to have to step things up in their new league.
19. On Sunday Mizzou and A&M will officially become SEC members (with some ceremonial activities to be held on Monday).
20. One day the word is the new playoff selection committee won’t reveal rankings or use computer polls, the next day you hear the opposite. Pick a plan and go, folks.