1. The SEC’s basketball coaches weighed in on all manner of topics during a summer teleconference yesterday.
2. Here’s a prospect-by-prospect breakdown of many of the nation’s NBA draft hopefuls — including those from the SEC, of course — by a number of NBA scouts.
3. The SEC and Big 12 reportedly wanted the new playoff played outside the existing bowl structure. (No doubt so they could bit out their own “Champions” Bowl — as we suggested — as a semifinal game each season.)
4. Beware of buying tickets on Craigslist, folks.
5. Toss Barry Switzer’s name onto the list of coaches angling for a spot on the new selection committee.
6. Anthony Grant says one was enough for his 2012 signing class at Alabama.
7. Auburn’s Tony Barbee loves the extra time he can spend with players in the summer thanks to an NCAA rule change.
8. Arkansas has spent a lot of cash for arguably the eighth-best signing classes in the SEC the last two years. (Of course, Bobby Petrino’s system allowed him to win without five-stars at every positition.)
9. Johnny O’Bryant and Anthony Hickey will be key to LSU’s basketball success.
10. New MSU coach Rick Ray will hope three-point shooting can make up for a lack of experience.
11. Andy Kennedy wants to see more consistency from his Ole Miss squad this winter.
12. Texas A&M big man Kourtney Roberson’s rehab from a broken ankle is “a slow process.”
13. The Aggie administration is preparing a ceremonial SEC flag-raising for their official entry into the league on Monday.
14. Georgia assistant John Lilly hasn’t forgotten the two long punt returns LSU used to whip the Dawgs in the SEC Championship Game.
15. This writer says that if Georgia doesn’t become a factor in the new playoff, Mark Richt will be remembered as “a coach who was good enough to stick around a long time — but not quite great.”
16. Guess what. Kentucky will be led by freshmen again this year on the basketball court.
17. The coaches of two of UK’s oldest rivals — Vanderbilt and Tennessee — aren’t thrilled to be losing the Cats on a home-and-home basis under the SEC’s shortsighted, brain-achingly stupid, new scheduling format.
18. A little baseball salute to South Carolina who saw their push for a third-straight College World Series title come up shot last night. Sa-lute. It was a heckuva run. (And now maybe someone in the Palmetto State will start talking about football.)
19. Frank Martin’s arrival in Columbia could be troublesome for Cuonzo Martin in Knoxville.
20. Mercurial Tennessee receiver Da’Rick Rogers is The Gainesville Sun’s #21 player in the SEC.
21. Ex-Vandy star and longtime NBA’er Will Perdue expects Festus Ezeli to have a long pro career, too.
22. Ex-Commodore Jeffery Taylor has his mind on Thursday’s NBA draft, too.
23. Missouri is looking at making $72 million worth of athletic facility improvements. (Welcome to the SEC.)
24. The Tigers’ Frank Haith likes the NCAA’s new, more liberal texting policy.
25. When it comes to today’s playoff discussion, the presidents are expected to be more of a speed bump than a road block.
26. Here’s a look at what you can expect from today’s meeting.