Hate to do this to you, but yours truly has an early doctor’s appointment today. That means quickie headlines from across the league. Thanks for your understanding and patience this week. April’s a busy month for behind-the-scenes business work. And a doc appointment is just the thing to make it all better. (Sarcasm.) Here are the big stories today…
2. Courtney Upshaw surprisingly didn’t make the first round, but that didn’t spoil Alabama’s draft party.
3. Under Nick Saban, Bama is dominating recruiting season, football season, and draft season.
4. Gene Chizik says Auburn is just one recruiting class away from solidifying its foundation.
5. Arkansas interim coach John L. Smith doesn’t want to “goof up” the Hogs’ coaching staff.
6. New LSU hoops coach Johnny Jones is putting his staff together with some ex-mates from North Texas.
7. Former Tiger corner Morris Claiborne was stunned the Cowboys traded up to get him.
8. MSU’s Fletcher Cox is viewed as a “rare guy” by Philadelphia’s front office.
9. The new faces at Ole Miss are still out drumming up support and pushing fan unity.
10. Ex-Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill is already dodging comparisons to Dan Marino in Miami.
11. For the first time since 2006, no Florida Gators were picked in the first round of the NFL’s draft.
12. Georgia O-lineman Cordy Glenn is still waiting to hear his name called in New York.
13. So were the 2011-12 Wildcats the best Kentucky basketball team ever?
14. John Calipari will be calling “Riders up!” at this year’s Kentucky Derby (much to Rick Pitino’s chagrin, I’m sure.)
15. South Carolina had two picks in last night’s first round… the first time that’s happened since 1981.
16. Derek Dooley says his Tennessee team’s GPA is now under control.
17. Vanderbilt’s offensive line is still a work in progress.
18. Missouri’s spread is about to meet the SEC’s defensive dread.